Thread: Suggestions on a video camera.................?

Default Suggestions on a video camera.................?

I just returned from a awesome Brooks range hunt, borrowed my wifes canon digital point & shoot. We got some decent stills, but foolish me took some vids with it thinking that might be cool.

Well I have quickly realized what a mistake that was, the ones that we didint zoom out are useable, but otherwise the rest are pretty bad.

So I am looking for some suggestions, I have a older Sony that shoots HI-8 (Digital), it is not huge like the really old ones, but still too big to pack around on a hunt, particuarily on a sheep hunt.

I know I need a tripod for anything zoomed out there very far.
    What I want needs to be compact with good battery life and decent picture quality, not expecting "Discovery channel" type videos. but something better than a point & shoot.

Any ideas please? or should I just use the old Sony?

Thanks, John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Ok........Geezzzz, its been 3 months since I posted this.........hard to believe some one doesnt have a suggesstion or opinion on a small video cam.......?

I checked out the Gopro Hero, http://www.goprocamera.com/products/?area=2 seems like a cool outfit but wonder how well it would do capturing a 320 yard shot on a grizz?
    Looked at these JVC cams at freds today, 30X optical.......... http://everio.jvc.com/lineup/specifications/index.html

Probably many others...now come-on guys......spme input?
    TR

hit the gear forum, Alaska_Lanche and others have reviewed a few there.

I have a Canon Vixia HG20 High def Digital. Its been a nice little unit. Takes great video, small and compact. Been real durable too. But I also treat it like glass while out in the field. I dont think they make the model anymore. You know because it came out last year so its old technology now. But so far We have been very happy with all our Canon photo equipment

Go pro does good for about 20ft max. Its a POV (point of view) camera, so anything far away just gets lost.

edit: 20 ft isn't max, just what i've noticed is a relatively good distance to stay within to get any detail.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Go pro does good for about 20ft max. Its a POV (point of view) camera, so anything far away just gets lost.

edit: 20 ft isn't max, just what i've noticed is a relatively good distance to stay within to get any detail.
    I was afraid of that........sure seems like a cool unit, waterproof and all the accesories that come with it............
    Some of the new cameras have hard drives in them for storage,,,,,wonder how they hold up? seems like a removeable flash drive would be better.....?

looking for a camera that is small, durable, uses a common battery (like a Dbl AA) or has good battery life, a lot of storage or compact storage cards, would like some optical zoom, maybe 20X for long shots?
    Image stabilization would be nice, some handy mounting solutions..............!
    Water resistant, takes good point & shoot snapshots.............hmmm....what else did I forget?
    Am I asking for too much? does someone make such a thing?
    Thanks, John
    TR

That canon Vixia HG i have will fit your needs. Its probably not water resistant. But it has a ton of built in memory. I think 6 hours worth of video. But you can also use a flash drive too. It takes good digital still pictures. Its small, light and compact. the battery it came with only last about 30 minutes, but the extended batteries will last 1.5. Ive been real happy with the unit. Takes great video ( it really is High Def), good sound and best of all no tape so you get rid of that annoying hum that a tape video camera makes.

I just bought a bunch of these Sony's for work and so far they seem like excellent little cameras.
    They are just standard definition but they also make an HD model.

They have 60X optical zoom and image stabilization and you can purchase spare batteries as well.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666073183

The HD model only has 25X zoom though.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666073251

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I just bought a bunch of these Sony's for work and so far they seem like excellent little cameras.
    Got some good looking adult actresses up there, eh?

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I use the HDR-CX150 as a back up camera/POC camera to my normal video camera. Shoots HD...internal HD and media cards. Extra battery and such at high res you good for over 3 hours.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I use the HDR-CX150 as a back up camera/POC camera to my normal video camera. Shoots HD...internal HD and media cards. Extra battery and such at high res you good for over 3 hours.
    I was curious about this and didn't think to just ask the question. I have heard that you need the footage to be in certain format and frame rate to put it on the air. Is this true, or just bs propagated by the manufacturers to sell one cam over another.

Default Video Cameras_Broadcast standards

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was curious about this and didn't think to just ask the question. I have heard that you need the footage to be in certain format and frame rate to put it on the air. Is this true, or just bs propagated by the manufacturers to sell one cam over another.
    Well, for the most part it is true that each network has their set of broadcast guidelines/format you need to follow but don't confuse "acquisition" formats with "deliverable" formats. The tell tail is it boils down to their approved CODEC (abbreviation for compression in/decompression out) that network deems acceptable for broadcast. That's how they i.e. Sony etc are able to build consumer cameras that shoot high definition onto small tapes and internal hard drives, they compress the video beyond belief but its not broadcast quality. May look it but its not. The trick is to get it (the acquisition footage) "as" close to the required deliverable CODEC required by that network. There are certain video formats that do NOT meet broadcast standards because they are too compressed and can't handle the trip through broadcast land and end up looking like crud by the time you the audience views it at home. Many people think any ole camera from best buy will work just fine but that's not the case. That camera MAY look good on you home HD TeeVee but once you start manipulating that video in any editing system it simply falls apart.

Frame rates and format can all be adjusted for final master out providing the "acquisition" format can handle the process. This is a classic example of you can't judge a book by its cover, you have to know what's going on inside when you consider your purchase. For most here however, I would imagine anything HD will work just fine.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

We had good results with Sanyo's Xacti cameras (http://sanyo.com/xacti/english/produ...ca8/index.html).

More ideas in this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...=digital+video

Good luck.