Thread: predicting coho strike times.

Unhappy predicting coho strike times.

normally this time of the year i am in deer and mt.goat mode but due to a hamstring injury I cannot even walk the beach in comfort yet alone a mountain. That said I decided to concentrate on fishing that fall has to offer.

i was wondering when i could predict a better strike from coho. I am fishing them in the salt but they are in spawning mode no doubt and withing 1/4 mile of a river. They seem not to care about my lures, flies and and my variety of presentations from fast/slow to eratic/comtroled to you name it. the weather is hot and sunny here and other than that i dont get what is the turn off. They were jumping all around me and nobody else was fishing or had fished there much!

P.S. i cannot walk rivers so please refrain from telling me about the dropping levels after a rain and how great it is. My leg is hurt.

Salmon that are entering a river to spawn are pretty much into their "shutdown mode" when it comes to eating, so that pretty much means they aren't going to be interested in any of your offerings. So you are correct in your assessment---they just aren't interested in you presentations. It's a debatable issue as to why they strike bait or lures at this point in their lifecycle, but they aren't feeding so usually aren't that aggressive in chasing lures around. So trying to predict coho strike times where you're fishing is pretty futile I'm afraid. Your best bet is to get as far away from their spawning phase as you possibly can and get to where they are actively feeding. You'll have much better luck.

I used to fish Resurrection Bay a lot for the returning coho and it was a pretty well known fact that if you saw jumping salmon you should just move away from that area. I was always told to fish on the outer edge of where you see jumping fish because those jumpers were essentially into their spawning phase (even though they don't have anywhere to actually spawn) and they were almost impossible to catch.

Where are you fishing. If you're in lower Cook Inlet you might want to try out of Homer, though there aren't a lot of coho out there right now. Time for "winter" kings!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.

Thanks. I am actually fishing the Sitka area. Last year it seemed to work while fishing for saltwater coho in spawn mode and i only went out once. I guess I will call it quits in the area i am fishing and relocate to groups of feeding coho. If i can find them without a depth finder.

Homer, Alaska, USA

Sometimes, bait works on the little fellas. I've had coho hit eggs and/or herring under a bobber when a moving lure (vibrex, pixie) won't elicit so much as a nod...I've fished with a lighted bobber late in the fall (before sunrise), and it's just a blast watching that bobber dive below the surface and then get towed around like a crazed submarine!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post a crazed submarine!
    LOL! I LOVE that one, Fishin' Dude!
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.

Eagle River

If there are schools of feeding salmon to be had and you have no fish finder, look for feeding sea birds, the salmon will be hitting the schools of food fish just as the birds are.

Eagle River/ Juneau

go small and dark
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.