Thread: Warne scope mounts and rings

Default Warne scope mounts and rings

I just rcvd a couple sets of Warne quick release bases and rings in the mail from a friend of mine to try out on my 375 H&H's.

Does anyone have any experience with their products? From the feel, weight, look etc they seem to be much stronger that the Leupolds I have traditionally used and am very confident in. I have heard some good things about them in the past.

Thanks for all input

Doug

I have had them on a CZ-550. They were pretty reliable. But the little lever got caught on things from time to time...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Bases are one in the same

From the research I've done recently for my 338, Warne makes the bases for Leupold's QRW's so in that respect they are the same....don't know about the rings...

The rings look quite a bit tougher than my Leupolds and I am looking forward to giving them a whirl.

Thanks

Doug

Have place Warne quick release rings on my Tikka T3 in 338 Federal. Solid, precise, heavy piece of steel. No complaints. Little extra cost, but IMO money well spent.

After putting on the bases and rings yesterday I am really impressed with how sturdy these things really are, nothing compared to the Leupolds I have always used. I will however be taking them up to have them lapped but this is no big deal as I have had to do this with Leupolds as well. I figured since I had everything off it was time to top it with the Zeiss I bought for this rifle. It replaced a Leupold VX II 2x7 that was on it when I bought it a few years ago, my eyes as they have gotten older do much better with the Zeiss etched reticles and glass.

I am anxious to give the quick release a try after getting the rifle sighted back in, although I would never have total confidence in them regardless I would always have to take a shot or two after removal and replacement just to ease my mind prior to hunting.

Thanks for the input,

Doug

The Warne's are ok, but just ok.

First, they are made of sintered steel which has a high degree of copper. The bad news is it is not as strong or dense as regular bar stock and tool steel and therefore, Warne's tend to weigh more. That's why they appear a bit clunky. They also have to use a courser grade socket head screw in the mount due to the use of sintered steel and the ability of the screw to be secure and not strip the receiving hole in the mount.

I have also had, and know of others who have had the screws break under recoil- not even very heavy recoil, .270 & a .300. On mine, I did not over torque the socket screws. I have mounted various rings on dozens of rifles throughout the years and have never had this happen. Warne claims they are using a #5 grade screw like all the other manufacturers.

The good news is the folks at Warne are great to deal with if you ever have a problem. I do believe however thier products are not as good as others due to the use of sintered steel which reduces production costs.

No big deal if you are hunting a few miles from the house, just go back and grab another rifle. A mount problem out in the bush however is a very big problem.

Sako1

Sako 1, what base and ring system do you prefer?

Depends on the rifle, for the most part, I shoot Sakos and Rugers which have their own systems. If I had to use another, I would go with the steel Talley split rings. Well made and strong.