Thread: Wild Onions?

Default Wild Onions?

Does anyone know anything about wild onions in Alaska? I was out hiking today, and came across a pond that had lost a lot of water. Around the edges mixed in with other vegetation was was looked like chives. They tasted pretty good, like onions or chives, and had really little bulbs on the end like a small green onion. Does anybody have an idea if these are true wild onions or just rogue chives?
    Attached Images Attached Images

those look like chives to me. they grow wild a few places in AK, mostly in damp areas such as where you found them. the flowers are distinct from any other wild lily.

be careful as there are some onion-ish looking plants in the lily family that are quite poisonous.

good idea to ID a plant before you eat it. just sayin...

We found wild chives along the youkon river a while back. That is probably what those are.

Yep, chives.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    those look like chives to me. they grow wild a few places in AK, mostly in damp areas such as where you found them. the flowers are distinct from any other wild lily.

be careful as there are some onion-ish looking plants in the lily family that are quite poisonous.

good idea to ID a plant before you eat it. just sayin...
    Yes, those do look like wild chives, the purple flower tops and round stalks (leaves) give it away. We have some of those around my neighborhood and are really tasty.

However do take care there are indeed look-a-likes that are poisonous. Death Camas that grows in similar habitat and has nice white bulbs is one. The Flowers are different as are the long slender edged (sedge like) leaves so that helps to identify.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Chives it is then. I did not know if there was a big difference between the chives and onions. It smelled like a chive, so I went ahead and chewed on one right away. Tasted like a chive, too. I learned about the poisonous one after some internet research, but I guess the poison one doesn't taste or smell like like an onion. Lucky me

Here is a pic of death camas. It looks like as long as you pay attention you shouldn't have difficulty telling the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images