Thread: Woodcock?

Question Woodcock?

Some buddies and I spooked up a couple woodcock this past weekend from the grassy shoreline of a small pond. Had a bead on one but didn't pull the trigger -- by the time I got the safety off, he was gone.

Are they typically up here? Prevalent at all? I don't see them mentioned in the regs.

No Woodcock in Alaska Kylemac! Sounds like you put up some snipe? They fall under the waterfowl regs.
    Jim

Yep they're a migratory bird and therefore you can't use lead shot. So don't get yourself in trouble if you're out for grouse and flush one up (unless you hunt grouse with non-toxic shot - then you're okay).

SNIPE.jpgYou can see the easy confusion from these pics

Woodcock.jpgThe birds are basically identical in most respects especially in flight at 20 mph!
    I was suspicious since I have never seen woodcock near water like that hence the question mark preceding my post.
    Good point on the lead/steel we were jumping a small duck pond - so legal, but our loads were a little heavy for these little guys.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    Regards,
    Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    No Woodcock in Alaska Kylemac! Sounds like you put up some snipe? They fall under the waterfowl regs.
    Jim
    Thanks for the "education"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Jim
    says where? we have had them nested in the edges of the hay fields in wasilla, along the timber lines, s well just busted two of them out of the grass in the burn out by ferry last weekend.. i agree they are often confused by snipe but have caught enough youngsters and moved out of the way of mowers to be sure of each...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

"Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Lots of folks call snipe "woodcock," but when you've handled both there's no mistaking one for the other. Alaska is about 2,000 miles from the nearest woodcock, but crawling with snipe in some wet areas.

Both are really cool to hunt, but snipe are a whole lot more numberous, especially if you are on their migration route or winter area. I've had many years of pleasure hunting snipe wintering grounds where you jump dozens of birds in a morning. Those little buggers will humble the best shotgunner. In my shooting and most folks I know, shots-per-bird average for snipe is about triple that for doves.