Thread: 1448 jon or 1648 jon

Default 1448 jon or 1648 jon

I was given a 1994 yamaha 40 powerhead 28 at the the pump outboard.Should i put this motor on a lowe 1448mvt or a lowe 1648mvt .Will the 1448 lowe transom have the strenght for this motor.Its rated for a 25 horse.1648 is rated for 35 horse.What kind of speed should i expect from both these boats.I will be hauling 2 adults and fishing gear but would like to be able to put three in sometimes.Can i just put the motor on the transom and go or do you have to do transom modifications my motor has the thumbscrew bolts.I dont want to buy a boat and be wishing i bought the other.thank you

the 14 is too small, but you will be breaking the law with your motor. get the right boat for what you want to do and then get the motor that fits that boat.

Since youre talking about a jet pump, you generally see the transoms beefed up a bit to bring the pump intake flush with the chime. I wouldnt worry about putting a 40 hp jet on a 14 footer too much, as long as your transom is in decent shape.

That being said, I have a 35 horse merc 2Stroke on my 16 foot LIGHT HULL hewescraft king runner and it is definantly underpowered if theres anyone else in the boat with me. So I think the 40 horse is on the small side for what you want to haul in a 16 footer. That is assuming your talking about running alaskan rivers, and if not, really no need for a pump...

As far as modifying the transom, look at the outboard jets website. There is some good info on lining up the chime with the jet foot. I used some 3/16" aluminum plate and raised my transom a couple of inches to line things up. It was pretty easy to do but cost me about $150. There are ALOT of guys on here that know way more than I do so I'll let them comment...

Basically what i am asking is what is the best jon boat for a 40 horse 28 pump two stroke motor.I want to haul 2 adults and gear I will be using it in here in british columbia on the smaller river systems and they can be shallow.I definatly do not want to be underpowered.

Unless your two adults are 150 lbs each, with 10lbs of gear each, you will be disappointed with the performance with either boat. However...if the only engine is the one mentioned, get the 16 footer.

1648 will work great. Doesn 't weigh much more at all than the 14 footer but displaces more water and has more capacity. Just don't add a lot of unnecessary weight like floor boards and keep your impeller sharp and shimmed. A light 1648 is perfect for that motor.

I am running a 1648 with a 1986 yamaha 40 with a jet. I keep it light and it's great. Two or three guys and fishing gear in the shallowest water you could want. Loaded up with three guys and all their hunting gear it's a dog. Two guys and a moose and it's a barge.

As previously mentioned, keep your impellor in shape and shimmed.

Sometimes I put the 35hp throttle restrictor on it for the Kenai. Performance drops significantly.

Buddy of mine has an F40 with jet on a 1648, that thing does well even with a load. Can hold 2 adults, camping gear and a moose and still get up on step.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

when you mean its a dog do you mean it wont even plane,what speed are you getting upstream loaded.do you have any transom modifications to mount your motor.