Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took a grouse with Judge

Default Took a grouse with Judge

Took a grouse on a north facing slope, with my new SS Judge.

It had a white belly and brown back. alot of white though, he was easy to spot.

Beautiful day in Alaska, it was foggy in Anchorage, but hot & sunny where we were.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post

It had a white belly and brown back. alot of white though, he was easy to spot.
    Did it look like this?

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Nice lookin' willow "grouse" there hippie!

Not as good as Rock Grouse IMO......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

No, I think he was a spruce grouse who was starting to turn white. His belly was full of black currant berries.

Uhh grouse don't turn white

Must be ptarmagin then. My bad, I'm new to the sport.

I would read up on the regs then and not kill something and not know what it is especially since they have different seasons and bag limits .... Maybe it's just me.

sounds like a ptarmigan hunt to me. since it seems like you're just learning about these great birds, I thought I would mention that its belly was likely full of black berries called crowberries. black currants grow at much lower elevations, often next to rivers and streams.

this is probably what you were seeing in the stomach (link below). They're all over the chugach, and most every spot there's tundra in AK.

http://www.borealforest.org/shrubs/shrub14.htm

congratulations on the bird. I have yet to get out after them this season, but you're giving me the itch.

definitely good advice to learn more about bird identification before hunting again. go down to the fish and game office and they can help you out with bird ID.

Thanks for the "education" andweav.

I knew grouse and ptarmagin were in season in my area, so I wasn't too concerned. But good advice, nonetheless.

Interesting info on the berries, also. It was a thrill to catch that bird over my dog. Get out there snoop around!

If you are in my area, I would love to team-up, I don't have any hunting buddies.

Which (of the about 100 varieties) of Judge do you have? Bird shot I'm assuming? How far?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Which (of the about 100 varieties) of Judge do you have? Bird shot I'm assuming? How far?
    I have the stainless steel Judge with a 2.5 inch cylinder and 3" barrel. I was using remington #4 bird shot, for the 15 yard shot.
    I took him out mid flight, it was a rush!

I have the same gun you do. I tried it on a few birds when I first bought the gun, but didn't like the performance. Thanks to your post, I took my Judge along this past weekend for the first time in a couple of years. While I did most of my shooting with a 12 gauge, I used the Judge to finish off a couple of cripples. Worked just fine for that purpose. I really like the little .410 at close range. I wish mine took 3 inch shells, but they only made the shorter version back when I bought mine.

Ya, IMO, it's a great trail gun.

In summer, or when I am in bear country, I stoke it with 335gr HCWC .45's @ 1000fps, made by a company called "Alaskan Backpacker". Thats a nice bear defense load.

In the winter, when Bears are sleeping, you can load some buck or bird shot for close range predator hunting or some still birds.
    Or, you can get lucky and hit em' on the wing like I did!

I have pics but cant figure out how to post them. Thanks for the reply Chilly.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Ya, IMO, it's a great trail gun.

In summer, or when I am in bear country, I stoke it with 335gr HCWC .45's @ 1000fps, made by a company called "Alaskan Backpacker". Thats a nice bear defense load.

In the winter, when Bears are sleeping, you can load some buck or bird shot for close range predator hunting or some still birds.
    Or, you can get lucky and hit em' on the wing like I did!

I have pics but cant figure out how to post them. Thanks for the reply Chilly.
    This is a silly question but do you happen to have something against your hand? If you decide to persist in shooting these rounds then I suggest you at least start practicing shooting with your off hand! (you will probably need the skill in the future!) The Taurus Judge is rated for regular 45 colt rounds which are limited to 14,000CUP. My Hornady reloading manual specs for 335grn hard cast @ 1000fps show between 19200-22000 cup!!! You are pulling the trigger on rounds that are designed to only be shot out of certain heavy duty fireams (Ruger, Freedom arms, T/C, and a couple other specialty manufacturers) and are about 30% over pressure for your pistol. The Judge is a bomb in your hand with those rounds! Remember just because it fits doesn't mean you should fire it!

Ya, you are right Lujon. High pressure loads for the .45 can get way past what I can do with my gun.
    IMO, anything under 20,000 cup is ok to shoot in my gun, which is considerably stronger than a Colt SAA or clone.
    I am at the limit with that load, and shoot it sparingly. I hope I never "Have" to use it.
    That being said, I would never recommend anyone else do this.
    I am in the market for a Ruger Redhawk or Blackhawk chambered in .45 colt, and that will become my carry piece in big bear country.
    Thanks for pointing this out, good for other members to be aware of this.
    Now a Raging Judge would be a different story...

Here is a quote from a fella on The High Road, a gunny forum. I think he is from Sitka, not sure.
    Anyway, he shoots these same rounds out of small frame Public Defender Judge, mine is the full size.

"jumping in late on this but I have a new judge public defender, and I have been shooting 335 grain colt rounds with no problem. taurus says no +p rounds, the 335 grains I am shooting are not marked as +p on the box and the store I bought them from says it shouldnt be a problem. I have put about 25 rounds through the gun. I live in alaska and use it as a side arm when I am deer hunting. with the 335 grain and my .300 winchester I feel pretty safe "

I called CorBon and they also said their 200gr +P JHP is fine in the Judge, they test them on Taurus Judges.
    Just some food for thought.

If your going to buy a new gun I would look atleast getting a .44 mag or larger if its for bear defence. Another thing I have a buddy who works down at Sourdough Pawn in Wasilla who does a bunch of reloading and he also is now doing .460 Roland ( Think I spelled that right) conversions for most 1911 chambered in .45 . By doing the .460 Roland conversion you get the same kind of power as a .44 mag with a .45 cal bullet with the kick of the .45 . He has done the conversion on his own 1911 springfield and has also done it for another friend of mine and they both love them. Another thing is that you cannot just go and buy ammo from the store for the .460 in say like walmart BUT like I said he does reloading and loads and sells .460 shells.

If your interested go to Sourdough Pawn off the parks highway. If your heading towards big lake its almost as your leaving Wasilla on the right hand side in a blue building. Ask For Jesse and tell him Charlie told you about it.

Is he just buying the CCG conversion kit?

Default redhawk or blackhawk

Quote Originally Posted by AllAlaskan View Post
    If your going to buy a new gun I would look atleast getting a .44 mag or larger if its for bear defence. Another thing I have a buddy who works down at Sourdough Pawn in Wasilla who does a bunch of reloading and he also is now doing .460 Roland ( Think I spelled that right) conversions for most 1911 chambered in .45 . By doing the .460 Roland conversion you get the same kind of power as a .44 mag with a .45 cal bullet with the kick of the .45 . He has done the conversion on his own 1911 springfield and has also done it for another friend of mine and they both love them. Another thing is that you cannot just go and buy ammo from the store for the .460 in say like walmart BUT like I said he does reloading and loads and sells .460 shells.
    If your interested go to Sourdough Pawn off the parks highway. If your heading towards big lake its almost as your leaving Wasilla on the right hand side in a blue building. Ask For Jesse and tell him Charlie told you about it.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I think my bear gun will be either a Ruger redhawk or blackhawk in .45 colt. I like that caliber, and I can load it up to exceed .44 mag power.
    That is certainly an interesting option for 1911 buffs, but I assume it would have to be a VERY strong 1911 even before the conversion. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast