Thread: PWS Shrimping done today, how did you do?

Default PWS Shrimping done today, how did you do?

So the season is over. I did some shrimping on a few occasions, and decided to send in my permit today. I ended up with 35 gallons for the season. I am sure some of you guys are in the hundreds of gallons. Care to share your totals? I would be interested to hear what the benchmark of a LOT of shrimp is for PWS for the season.

Don't forget to send your permit in, or you will get a reminder in a month or so from F&G.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Care to share your totals? .
    I only got one pick before I lost my pots
    embarrassing enough my tally is about a gallon the pathetic thing is I've been on the sound pretty much every day since May. I'm having a hard time rigging up again I've lost 2 complete set ups now. How many times does a guy get bucked off before he decides he can't ride?

I'm sorry it's not going well for some of you and that it took others so long to get er done. I quit after 29 gallons because that's all me and Gram can use in a year. It's probably wrong of me to mention that I caught them all on the FIRST TRIP using that kick arse stuff I got from Steve.
    Next years gear (replacing the old fashion, cumbersome stuff) allready shows a lot of promise too!
    Here's to "next year".
    Mike

Default 5 gl. average

Pretty steady 5gl. average for 6 pots. Some pulls were as high as 10 gl. for 6 pots. Just had another great afternoon yesterday, came home with just over my 5gl. Sunshine, flat calm, empty launch ramp, what more could you ask for?

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Pretty steady 5gl. average for 6 pots. Some pulls were as high as 10 gl. for 6 pots. Just had another great afternoon yesterday, came home with just over my 5gl. Sunshine, flat calm, empty launch ramp, what more could you ask for?
    You weren't the guy in the zodiac pulling gear around the pigot area i passed last night?? Quite the breeze coming into whittier last night!
    I dinked around for a couple of days for aprox 55lbs of tails.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

This was my third season shrimping and this was the worst year by far. I don't know what happened but most of the areas I fished the last two years produced very little shrimp this year. Some of the old stand by areas I caught more crab than shrimp. What the heck happened I have no idea. Steve do you have any ideas on the crab infestation. I really wanted to drop a tanner pot to see how many legals I would catch.

Went a few times during bear season and a couple more through the rest of the summer. I don't have a good tally, because non-res friends would pull a permit so that they could help then of course they wanted to record the catch on thier card. Somewhere between 35 and 40 gallons whole shrimp for us. Not near enough as it seems we ate a whole lot of them with friends already. Bait didn't seem to matter much for me. Hooligan, shrimp crack, dog food - it all worked and we usually pulled about 4-5 gallons with 3 pots.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    You weren't the guy in the zodiac pulling gear around the pigot area i passed last night?? Quite the breeze coming into whittier last night!
    I dinked around for a couple of days for aprox 55lbs of tails.
    No Potbuilder, I got a glass boat. But thanks again for the spacing advice, big help!!I was by myself and got to run as hard as I wanted on the way in. There were some nice little combers running inside of Trinity and made for a zesty run in while on step!! BIGG AIR!!

One trip out this spring brought in about 40lbs of tails for the year and a nice black bear to boot. Didn't get a chance to make it back out after that. Already looking forward to next year.
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

This was my first year and admitedly, I didn't have a clue on how to do it...I just went out and set my gear. When all was said and done, I averaged 35-40 shrimp per pot while generally soaking 6-8 hours. I'm more than satisfied with that, I learned a few things and I'm looking forward to next year.

If was a good year for shrimp. Fished with 6 pots tell around Jun than down to 3 the rest of the year, freezer is half full of them bugs.
    We did a lot of prospection around the sound this year and found some really productive spots, and some that produced blanks. Tore up some pots that hung up and lost a couple due to bad judgment, but it was all part of the experience. Look forward to spring when the freezer is empty and that first bight of fresh shrimp out on the boat. When I get a chance I'll post our totals, sure it's close to 100 gal.

IMG_2208.jpg
    IMG_2674.jpg
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Did OK this year not great. My tally sheat is still on the boat so I must remember to send it in thanks for the reminder. On my last pull someone from Anchorage had a set that was 25 feet from mine luckily his pots were not hung up with mine but come on folks a little common sence and courtesy. Yes I do realize he was legal and I dont owen the sea but it just seems to me that there is plenty of ocean out there to move away from the pots of someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtales View Post
    come on folks a little common sence and courtesy. Yes I do realize he was legal and I dont owen the sea but it just seems to me that there is plenty of ocean out there to move away from the pots of someone else.
    Its just wrong to set too close to other gear. HOWEVER (lol) I'm, going to deploy my pots in the same vicinity as other pots simply because I'm sick of losing my gear! I get all jiggy and decide to pioneer and lose my gear every time. So in the future, call me Mr.Corker, I'd rather be known as Mr Corker than rig more gear
    Last edited by fullbush; 09-20-2010 at 09:52. Reason: Steve, could you put me on the list for a whole new set of pots

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Its just wrong to set too close to other gear. HOWEVER (lol) I'm, going to deploy my pots in the same vicinity as other pots simply because I'm sick of losing my gear! I get all jiggy and decide to pioneer and lose my gear every time. So in the future, call me Mr.Corker, I'd rather be known as Mr Corker than rig more gear
    we need to have a talk jeff

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692