Thread: Fishing for moose.

Default Fishing for moose.

OLDMIL007 gave me this thought about what pound test do you pull your moose from the water?

I posted ( and highjacked bsj's thread, sorry, ) on "got my first moose threaP1010429.jpgd" ( if you hav'nt clicked on it, you should) and give the young man a congrats. Again my congrats to bsj.

Now this is what we used ( cloths line, lol)P1010430.jpg

Thanks for the grin RockSkipper, and congrats to the Dude totin' that Swamp Donkey.

A fella could blow the lungs out of a moose while it stood on a mountain in the middle of a desert and that sucker would run until it found a pool of water to die in....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I lassoed mine and pulled him out with my come-a-long. Made easy dry work of it.

The story behind this is on the other thread "got my first moose this morning"

Thanks all, this is a guy that I will hunt with hands down, lol , most would pack it out, he just took the pack part out of it. ( and it would have been a good 300-400 yard pack through some of the worst brush that you could think of)

Hope you enjoy the pic's. As long as he was still smiling at the end of that pull tells you alot.

Excellent! I did that once myself. Saved a lot of packin!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

should save these pics for the " what kind of wader do i i buy" threads also.... cotton seems to work!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Cool pics, E.S. Congrats! Our first moose this fall was in the water too, but it was only knee deep so not too bad to deal with. What a great hunting partner you have there <grin>!

P1010442.jpgThanks guys.

He pulled that thing up right to the front of the prowler and we winched him onto dry ground.P1010433.jpg

Hey, it looks like it was a nice day for a dip too huh?!? Whew, it sure has been hot... I mean nice...

Wow, seeing pics of moose in water scares me. Bushrat, I noticed you killed one in the water this year, do you cut it where falls, or are you able to get it to dry land? I just cannot imagine dealing with a moose in water. Are you guys shooting them in the water or do they run in the water. Hats off to ya

Looks like Rock skipper is a pretty big boy.Does not look like the moose has much on him..

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    P1010442.jpgThanks guys.

He pulled that thing up right to the front of the prowler and we winched him onto dry ground.P1010433.jpg

FYI, Elim, that isn't Rock Skipper in the pics.

Jeff P, have gotten quite a lot of moose that ended up dying in the river. Usually you can drag them into water that isn't over waders, then cut the head off and drag them farther by hand. So rather than come-along or winch them all the way to dry land, sometimes it's just easier to deal with them in the water. But if you get one in a pond like this one Rock Skipper got, you really gotta winch them out cuz there just isn't any shallows and what there is typically is just mud.

Here's a pic of my son and daughter working on a good sized bull my son shot in the lungs, but he ran into the river and died. We got the head off and were able to all drag it into this depth of river to butcher it.

Great picture for sure, I guess the meat gets cooled quickly that way. I almost had to do one in the water, I am so glad I did not have to.
    Having done them in the water would you shoot one that was standing in water or wait if you could?

Jeff, I can tell you for myself that I wait for them to get out of the water, but the last 3 that "I" shot found their way back into it, lol. Not what I wanted, but had to deal with it. I think they know that they are safer in the water. Really tho I shot them as soon as they hit dry land and they seemed to do an about face and then did some kinda 2-step right back in the water. @#*(%*(*

Elim, lol thats not me in the pic. ( I'm the one behind the camera) although that is a big boy, lol. You have to remember that 3/4 of the moose is under water, and it is still atleast 3 times bigger than the guy pulling it.

Mark, that is one big moose, glad you had to deal with that instead of me, <grins> ( congrats to your kids)