Thread: tanana float...fairbanks to nenana

Default tanana float...fairbanks to nenana

I'm considering floating the Tanana from Fairbanks to Nenana this weekend. I've done one (little) float so I know how it's done but I've never been on the Tanana. This isn't exactly remote, or an untrafficked area, but I think it could be fun. Can anyone give me insight on how many river miles I'm looking at/what rate of travel I can expect. Can I expect to cover this distance by Sunday evening if I shove off early Saturday? Also, are the islands in the river in 20b or 20f?

53 miles not sure on float time i know on the chena it takes me 12hrs. to go about 20 miles i know the tannana is moving faster but its got more hazards that could take more time in my opinion.

There are lots of islands on the 20b portion just check out google earth . Where are you putting in at and what are you using ? Inflatable? Drift boat? Hopefully not a canoe. Or will you use something with a motor if so prop or jet all of these factors will affect your total time greatly so answer. Those questions an we should be more help

Quote Originally Posted by daniel.ferenczy View Post
    are the islands in the river in 20b or 20f?
    Neither... Islands are 20A. Check the regs to confirm.

Oh I completly read what you were Asking wrong yeah the islands under 20a the 20b boundAry is the north bank of the rivEr itself

Sorry...I meant 20A not 20F. That makes sense, thanks...I checked the regs and yes islands are in 20A. I'll be floating with a buddy in a raft with rowing set up, rented from Test The Waters. I guess we won't be shooting any moose on the NORTH side of the river, if we see any. I heard waters moving at about 5 knots...not sure how that translates to drift speed. I've done some scouting down marybeth road to the river and there was great moose sign...just didnt feel right to hunt, too many trails and cabins and dogs barking down there. Anyway I hope the south side of the tanana is representative of the north in regards to moose activity. Also have seen plenty of coyotes down there and I heard there were wolves. This is basically a poor mans "river float hunt." Thanks for the responses fellas, I expected guffaws.