Thread: well kind of a hunting thread

Default well kind of a hunting thread

Who saw that Bull moose this morning that got waxed by the truck, outside Eagle River heading towards Palmer, looked like a nice bull... I would of turned around and asked APD to have it but all I had was the ford focus oh well.

Unfortunatly I think you have to be on the salvage list.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Looked to be a fair sized bull. Only saw the right side of his rack above the grass, but if I were a betting man, I would say he was 40-45 inches...but who really knows. Sure were a lot of people sitting around in the grass (away from the bull).

Never thought about it, but if a legal bull was struck by a car could you finish it off and punch your tag?

you could. would it be legal? no.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    you could. would it be legal? no.
    If it was in a legal area and it was a legal moose why would it not be legal?

an animal hit by a car belongs to the State.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Unfortunatly I think you have to be on the salvage list.
    you have to be on the salvage list to receive it, but they have some group or company that actually goes out and retrieves it for you. they say it saves time and makes sure that the responders are actuaaly ready for the task of removing it from the roadway as required by the state to be on the list. there was an article in the ADN awhile back about it. my church is on the list and one night while I was returning from a tow there was a bull hit by the wiegh scales. I stopped and told the officer I was on the list through my church and would be willing to load it up on the slideback and deliver it to the pastor for processing. He verified that I was on the list and it was actually our church's turn to get called but his dispatcher said I couldn't take it because they had to call the "pick up people". I waited with the officer for an hour and 10 minutes before the "pick up people" arrived. They had a truck and trailer with a winch. After 20 minutes watching them try to get the moose on the trailer I offered my assisstance. I winched the moose up with my truck and then unloaded it on thier trailer. Once done with that I left, went to the shop, dropped off the tow truck, got in my pov and went to the pastor's house. I arrived at the same time as the moose. Once again government being stupid about trying to "protect" its people imho.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    If it was in a legal area and it was a legal moose why would it not be legal?
    not to mention hunting from on or across the drivable surface

that came up several times over the years. and the ruling always has been that it belongs to the state to prevent folks from using an old junker to catch a moose... ( and they have in the past) try to convince the cop you " ACCIDENTALLY" hit a moose while begging him to allow you to punch your tag..... means and methods is means and methods... harvest by car is in NOT in them.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

WTH some people using cars to kill moose wow... I can think of better things to do than try to hit a 1000 lb plus animal with my car junker or not. TO many variables involved and oh one them is getting killed yourself.