Thread: Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS

Default Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 CDS

I just ordered one of these scopes and a Browning A-bolt composite stalker 7mm RM with BOSS to put underneath it. Has anyone used one of these scopes before and what did you think about it? I think the rifle I chose should be a good match. I'll be handloading some 7mm Bergers to put down range with it. I just need to work up a load to get the custom turrets made.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I put the exact same scope on my daughters Ruger .243 tactical earlier this year. I've been working on a 95gr Berger VLD and a 95gr Nosler Ballistic Tip load to determine which cap I would get made. Both are great shooters but the BC's are quite different, 486 versus 389 so two caps may be in order. The system is very easy to use and takes the guess work out of clicks on elevation.

I had the Leupold custom shop make BDC turrets for an identical .308 with a VX-III scope, it has demonstrated exceptional accuracy. The pics below are on the 308. The target represents 1 shot at 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. All bullets hit within 2.8 inches. No correction was made for wind. The 400 yard shot was a bad squeeze but the test was a good reflection of Leupold's trajectory program, I think it works just fine.

If I may suggest, use your normal hunting elevation and temperature so they can tailor your dials to your load and location. Right now they're offering (2 for 1) so you can get a dial made for mountain hunting too.

For temperature adjustments in Fahrenheit drop 3.5 degrees per thousand feet of elevation above your typical elevation. For Celsius drop 2 degrees per thousand. In other words if you hunt at sea level and 50 degrees your mountain cap might reflect 5500 and 31 degrees. Those differences will assure an accurate adjustment on long shots in two different environments.

DSC01388.JPGDSC01391.JPG

Thanks for the info. I just checked on the shipping last night and as of 7 pm last night the rifle and scope were both in Anchorage. I need to get going on working up a load because the 2 for 1 for the turrets ends DEC 31st.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine