Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First white fish on the fly

Default First white fish on the fly

Caught this guy this last weekend. First white fish on the fly...interesting
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0041.jpg  
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I saw a fellow forum member pull one of those out of Goose Creek a couple weeks ago, on a bead too... It was a first for both of us as well.

Cool Raptor! When I was trying to master the bead technique this summer my 1st fish ever on a bead was a fat white fish. It hardly fought at all, just a couple tugs then dead weight

Haha cool. 2/4 people on our boat got one last weekend on beads. I've never got one on a fly though, kinda cool IMO

Sorry about the weird picture. I was being stupid with a mouthful of carrots.

Boyfriend got a longnose sucker on a leech a few weekends ago, that was strange too!
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Cool Raptor! When I was trying to master the bead technique this summer my 1st fish ever on a bead was a fat white fish. It hardly fought at all, just a couple tugs then dead weight

The one I got gave a nice little fight. It was up your way too

Rocky Mountain bonefish otherwise known as "pointers." I tend to get a couple a year on beads. Tend to be caught on nymphs in slower water in the Rocky Mountain areas. They get a lot bigger here though and pull a little bit more.

those aren't Mountain Whitefish (seriously)... And thats not a fly

I caught one this year too... On a beach seine fly
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yep, not a fly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    I saw a fellow forum member pull one of those out of Goose Creek a couple weeks ago, on a bead too... It was a first for both of us as well.
    I thought it was a nice little greyling...

Its what I got out of a good hole after cube pulled all the good fish out!
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

[QUOTE=muzzyman87;805588]I thought it was a nice little greyling...QUOTE]

That's what I thought too when I saw him in the water. Actually the thought process went...."Sweet, nice trout. Nope, that looks like a grayling, but I didn't think there were any this far up on this river? Wait...what the "f" is that? Oh sweet! A white fish!"

The only time ive caught any whites was at tangle and at my cabin in skwetna. Rare catches compared to most other trout.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by cut throatAK View Post
    Yep, not a fly at all.
    Whatever man, it was on a fly rod so I concider it "on the fly"....you purists kill me

Sweet Fish! I actually caught one for the first time this year also. Thought for sure it was a grayling, then I didn't see the fin. Caught it on a stonefly I had leftover from Steelhead fishing, weird!

Fish On!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8273223.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	39110
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

forgot this little guy... not sure how this happened
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Humpback whitefish

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Whatever man, it was on a fly rod so I concider it "on the fly"....you purists kill me
    Don't let 'em fool you - Most of these 'purists' never hesitate to tie on a bead when it'll catch fish. Just don't call it a fly - that's like calling a magazine a clip, a truck a car, or a wood frog a bullfrog.
    I consider myself to be one of the snobbiest (what I lack in skill I try and make up for with an angling superiority complex), but when the salmon start dropping eggs I take my bead box and fly rod, and I go fly fishing! (Because any other type of fishing would upset my fragile purist sensibilities ;-)

Whatever, bead fishing is without a doubt fly fishing. And I consider beads a fly. You match the hatch, cast into the good holes, and make a good presentation in order to land a fish. How is it any different??
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Technically a bead is considered a attractor, esp since it is typically pegged above a hook.. If you want, just maked a few wraps of thread on your hook and then is it legally fly fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post
    Whatever, bead fishing is without a doubt fly fishing. And I consider beads a fly. You match the hatch, cast into the good holes, and make a good presentation in order to land a fish. How is it any different??
    Exactly. Snobby purists are just rediculous. I have a fly rod in my hand, it's fly fishing. I love fly fishing, but everytime I run into a purist on the stream I want to throw my fly rod in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I love fly fishing, but everytime I run into a purist on the stream I want to throw my fly rod in the water.
    That, my friend, is blasphemy...

You and I must have very different views on what qualifies someone as a purist... I think the type of person you are referring to is jack***, or maybe even *****hole.

Like I said - I consider myself to be a purist, and when I go bead fishing I am still fly fishing! I just don't have a 'fly' on the end of my line (just like I'm not driving my car on the freeway - I'm driving my truck on the highway.)

I'm also one of the first guys to strike up a conversation with someone I come across on the water - I am eager to share what I am using, learn what they have been doing, and see what is working... I would never belittle someone on the water.

Now... Where is that 'trolling' emoticon I'm looking for :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast