Thread: HDR photography

Default HDR photography

Anybody play around with HDR photography? I'm looking at getting Photomatix Pro to try it out. I'm really impressed with some of the work I've seen and think Alaska would be a good place to put this type of photography to use. Being that there were more dull and overcast days where I lived in Cordova this would have been a helpful tool to make some colors pop without having to jump through quite so many hoops in Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Anybody play around with HDR photography? I'm looking at getting Photomatix Pro to try it out. I'm really impressed with some of the work I've seen and think Alaska would be a good place to put this type of photography to use. Being that there were more dull and overcast days where I lived in Cordova this would have been a helpful tool to make some colors pop without having to jump through quite so many hoops in Photoshop.
    While I do have PhotoMatix, I am not fond of HDR photography. However, a lot of people like this type of photographic effect. If you want to give it a try, PhotoMatix is a great application, and it is relatively inexpensive. Go for it.

Now, in relation to PhotoShop, there are a large number of plugins you can buy and use with PhotoShop to achieve any effect you desire. PhotoShop CS5 includes an HDR option (built-in), as well as a very nice panoramic tool (to stitch photos to create panoramas). But CS5 is expensive unless you can buy it with a faculty, student, or school staff discount. In this case, it costs $199.00. When I bought mine, I received a free plugin gift from Adobe. The plugins are designed by OneOne Software, and are called "PhotoTool." With these plugins you can achieve quite a large number of effects (just double-click on the effect you want, the the plugin does its work without your help. If you don't like it, then just delete it.

There are other plugin packages from Topaz Software (around $49.00), but perhaps the best is a lot more expensive, and made by Nik Software (around $199.00 on an educational discount).