Thread: Possible relocation to Valdez

Default Possible relocation to Valdez

Hello All,

I have been lurking about the site for a couple weeks and must say this is quite a site!

I am currently look into a job offer in Valdez and I have a few questions.

1. Does Valdez have a resident gunsmith and gun store? ( I am a gunsmith)

2. What are the popular family entertainment choices for the area?

3. What is the average housing property costs in Valdez?

Thanks in advance for any information

Regards,
    Everett

2. Snowmachining. Do you like snow...lots of snow? Like 6-10 feet per winter?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I am aware of the heavy snowfall in the area and yes I do like snowmachining. I did it a lot while I was in Maine.

This won't be my first experience with Alaska, just my first with the mainland. I spent some time in Kodiak while in the USCG. I know its not exactly the same but is more experience than some who come north to stay.

I am hoping someone from the area will chime in with some more info concerning my questions.

Regards,
    Everett

What do you want to know?

I have only been here for a couple of months, since I just reported to Valdez. Now that the tourist are gone, I love it. Valdez has place's to buy gun's but I wouldn't call it a gun store. There may be a gunsmith, but I don't know of one. Family would be hiking, fishing, hunting, snowmobile, ATV, movie at the civic center. Just depends what you are into. Seems like avg cost is about $1500 to rent. Not sure if you want to buy or not.

1) I don't know if they have a gunsmith, I would venture no and it is likely too small and isoloated of a location for a full time gunsmith to make it.

2) Not much, unless you like fishing, skiing, ice climbing or other winter sports.

3) Housing prices are high, and I'd be leary of buing a house down there. The prices are high due to the high salaries of workers at the terminal, but those jobs have been decreasing over the years, driving down the house prices. Depending on how things go, you could easily loose money on a house, or end up with a house you'd be unable to sell. I'd say you'd be better off putting your money into a boat, you'll definately want one down there.

I moved to Valdez in 1977 intending to stay for two years. I'm still here so I guess I liked it. As to your questions:

1. There are guns available at two local stores. The third, Valdez Shooter's Supply is new and has a pretty good guy running it. He's working out of his garage for now but bends over backwards to get anything you want at very reasonable prices. There are no full time gunsmiths but a few "dabblers". It's doubtful a full time gunsmith could get by as there are only about four thousand winter residents and around seven thousand during the summer months.

2. If you are into the outdoors, there are limitless opportunities for family fun. Skiing, climbing, backpacking, boating, beach roaming, camping, four wheeling, fishing, hunting, snow machine riding, wildlife viewing, spectacular scenery matching Switzerland, and so on. If you are into opera and the like you have to go to Anchorage. Valdez has a large and very nice civic center with a theater that hosts weekend current run movies as well as major entertainment acts a few times a year. Some of the big names that visited in the past are Blues Traveler, Vienna Boy's choir, Some fancy Chinese circus and so on. There are a lot of community based music events and a fairly major theater group associated with the community college. We have a yearly theater conference with a bunch of New York big name writers and broadway actors.

3. Housing is available but real estate seems to move fairly rapidly. You can Google Sound Realty in Valdez and get an idea of prices and availability.

Valdez and Alaska are things you either love or hate. If you are into the outdoors it's hard to beat. If you don't like snow and rain this is not for you. Thirty inches of snow in twenty four hours is not unusual. No offense to Nitroman but thirty to fifty feet of snow per winter is more accurate. It builds up to six or so feet so all forty feet isn't on the ground at winter's end. It may rain for a couple of weeks straight during the summer but when it clears off the view is spectacular. It rarely goes below zero and most winter temps run in the 20s and 30s.

Valdez is a small town so if you are used to big city entertainment you might reconsider. Valdez is on the road system with Anchorage only five hours away so you can drive to Anchorage or Fairbanks if you need your big city fix.

Good luck with your venture.

I would like to thank everyone who responded with information concerning the Valdez area. I apologize for taking so long to get back to respond. But I'm just not a big forum user. My initial interview did not pan out. Which is too bad, because I really liked the area while I was there for my interview. But funny enough, I received a call asking if I am still interested just last week. So we will see if it works out this time. I hope so.

Xchief- I really apppreciate your detailed response. Thanks

Regards,
    Everett