Thread: Sandhill Crane around Fairbanks/North Pole or Delta Junction

Default Sandhill Crane around Fairbanks/North Pole or Delta Junction

Did the crane leave yet? Just got back home from work yesterday. Thinking about going crane hunting.

They were moving ALOT this weekend havent seen many flocks flying over this morning or yesterday. Still lots of geese around and a few ducks.

Thank you Bsj. I figured that was the case. I know geese and ducks will probably be around for awhile. I do like crane but their hunting window is pretty small .

I witnessed thousands upon thousands leaving the Delta area over the past weekend. Very impressive sight! This was near the granite mountains....

-akiceman25

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Far and few down here now. Didn't see many last weekend, and if I was going out this weekend I wouldn't expect to see any.

Can we get another update? I'm actually headed up there to hunt this weekend, so I'm a little curious. Even if the cranes are gone, what are geese and ducks looking like in the area?

very few birds. Lots of cranes moving through, but staying high in the thermals and coasting right on by.

A friend was at the Denali Park area on Sat and said the sky was full of several hundred cranes filling the sky on their migration. I would thing they would be in Delta Junction by now. Any reports?? Bud

FWIW, I was just up there and it was slim pickins. Best way to hunt a crane, from what I saw, is from a hot air balloon. I think Delta is getting leapfrogged this year.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

we haven't seen the numbers overhead out in Ferry like years past, there is a group monitoring the migration route for a wind turbine project out there and they say numbers are really down also. probably due to the warm weather we have been having. they too are waiting for a cold front to come and move the birds this year.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here