Thread: Crowberry jelly recipe

Sterling, AK

Default Crowberry jelly recipe

Anyone have one? I have four cups at the ready. I also have a couple of cups of high bush cranberry, and I read they are high in pectin and can be used with other berries to eliminate the need for sure-gel (?) But I don't want to spoil the crowberries *if* they have a delicate flavor.

Central Kenai Peninsula

Default Tried the UAF cooperative extewnsion service ?

Not sure I have a crowbery reciepe. I am stuck on the slope right now though.
    When I was at the state fair I picked up some pamphlets from the UAF Cooperative Extension Service for a lot of different berries.Might want to check their website
    I would think you are a bit short on berries. Especially for Jelly. Might just have enough for Jam though.
    Me and mt girlfriend are up to 12 batches of Jelly/Jam already this year. We still have berry juice in the fridge waiting for the lingonberries to be ready so we can do some more berry blends.
    Good Luck and Good eating.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I just made a mix of crowberry/blueberry jam that turned out pretty good. I am no pro at it, but it turned out setting at about the right consistency. I had a mix of probably 2/3 crowberry to 1/3 blueberry.
    I started by crushing the berries. Just to mix it up I ran them through the meat grinder, because I didn't have a better way and it sounded like fun. I ended up with 4 cups of crushed berry mixture. I then put them in a pot, put in 4 cups of sugar, and put some heat to them. I stirred occasionally, and cooked them until the mixture reached a temperature of 222 degrees. I added a little lemon juice toward the end also, because some stuff I read called for it. Once the temp was reached (this took about 30-45 minutes) I poured into hot sterilized jars, added a lid, and that was it. After cooking down I ened up with 2 pints of jam. Hope that helps.

Sterling, AK

Found one! Thought I would post it- as I didn't find much else out there about crowberries
    Mossberry Jelly

Yes, there really are mossberries (also called a crowberry). They grow
    on long linear stems, which may be somewhat erect or grow along the
    ground, and have very straight, spiky deep green leaves that are
    reminiscent of tiny evergreen needles, and grows 3-5 inches in height. The
    berries are a very dark purple or black, and are extremely juicy, with
    little seeds. Mossberries are also somewhat bitter and are better taken home
    for preparation. Picking the berries is done on your hands and knees
    but it is well worth the effort. Mossberries can be found throughout the
    alpine forests of the Yukon, northern British Columbia and Alaska.

4 cups mossberries
    1 cup water
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    Additional water (if needed)
    3-1/2 cup sugar
    1 pouch liquid pectin (Certo)
    1/2 tsp. margarine or butter

Bring the berries and 1 cup of water to a boil and simmer for 10
    minutes. Crush the berries or put through a food mill. Strain the juice in a
    cheesecloth-lined sieve. Add the lemon juice and any additional water
    if need to bring the juice up to 2 cups.

Bring the juice and sugar up to a boil. Add the margarine, then the
    liquid pectin. Bring back to a boil, stirring constantly boil hard for 1
    minute. Remove from heat. Skim foam from surface and pour into sterile
    pint jars and seal. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

Yield: 4 cups

little log cabin on the river

Good find on that recipe Porterwagner! I took a quick look for the one that was posted last year but couldn't find it, and the web didn't make for easy research and I was short on time.

It is a basic jam/jelly recipe that suits well with lots of wild berries.

From what I gathered you should use the pectin or else boil it down like crazy (7 to 10 degrees on a candy thermometer above the initial boiling temp as one would do for a basic blueberry or jam recipe to make sure the sugar is concentrated enough to jell if you are not using pectin). Seems easier and quicker here to just use the pectin

Grandma Lori.
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley