Thread: FOUND CARIBOU RACK IN RIVER- belongs to NR

Default FOUND CARIBOU RACK IN RIVER- belongs to NR

LOOKING FOR OWNER of lost "bou" rack has locking tag from 2009. would like to return to him if he wants it.......have come up with name and address but phone # i got off internet has been disconnected. anyone know a Daniel Hedges from CA that would have hunted on Sag last year? will send letter if this does not get any hits. too nice of a rack to loose.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

It's a little known fact that I myself have gone by that name from time to time when hunting caribou... maybe you could just drop them by my place there in anchorage (my "second" home I guess that'd be?)

Lets see this thing!

weak try Chris you have been called lots of things but doubt any were Danial, how are you doing?
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

actually my son found two sets of antlers

both were pretty nice
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 09-15-2010 at 09:50. Reason: made photos viewable

Wow, that IS a dandy!

This is the second head Nimrod found :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

ok roger i know you are more computer wise than to screw up adding attachment. try again

No matter what I am trying, I can't get a picture to attach. Not sure what I am doing wrong. So I have a link to my web site with about 250 photos of the trip this year if anyone is interested. The pictures of Nimrod's head find are about 2/3rd of the away in.
    http://roger45.smugmug.com/Hunting/S...06246948_QJYVS
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

here is roger45's pix of the rack same one as i posted ( one on back of the boat)

found this one on small gravel bar in sag tangled in a root wad probably 10 miles down river from boat launch
    Last edited by AK NIMROD; 09-15-2010 at 12:56. Reason: added text

Unhappy

Hope it wasn't that fellow who... (gulp) drowned last year!

don't think so not this one. anyway ....was ths one you were thinking of?

found by google search, posted by Larry Bartlett
    Hey folks, just thought you could benefit by this article about a floater who drowned on the Sag recently. Anyone who plans to float the Atigun or Sag this fall should take note on safety:

A man accessing the refuge via the haul road has drowned. Apparently this party's plan was to hike over the divide and end up in Arctic Village. It sounds like they were using pack rafts to cross, and eventually descend, rivers. The article reports that they didn't wear PFDs while crossing the rain-swollen Sag River. I often get inquiries about floating the Atigun and Sag, and suspect others do too. Below the article is a thread from the Fairbanks Paddlers listserve that discusses the character of that trip. It is not something to be taken lightly. Man drowns in Brooks Range's Sagavanirktok River

By Amanda Bohman
    Published Tuesday, July 14, 2009

FAIRBANKS — A 22-year-old man from St. Paul, Minn., drowned in the foothills of the Brooks Range after coming to Fairbanks this summer looking for work and adventure, authorities said.
    Jaymes H. Schoenberg was beginning a back-country trip with his friend, Robert LaMontagne of Fairbanks, on Friday when his raft apparently hit a rock and overturned, LaMontagne said.
    Schoenberg was swept down the Sagavanirktok River, commonly known as the Sag River, authorities and LaMontagne said. His body was found the next morning face down in the water about seven and a half miles from where LaMontagne last saw him.
    Neither man wore a life jacket, according to a statement from the North Slope Borough Police Department.
    “He just wanted to learn new things and have an adventure in Alaska,” LaMontagne said.
    The men had just begun a 12-day rafting trip that was to end with a float down the Junjik River to Arctic Village, LaMontagne said. They met about 18 months ago at a glassblowing school in North Carolina, LaMontagne said.
    Schoenberg spent about six months working on a sailboat in Mexico before traveling north.
    LaMontagne said he found work as a carpenter in Fairbanks.
    For the trip, the men took a shuttle up the Dalton Highway and began hiking to the Sag River about 100 miles south of Prudhoe Bay.
    They were attempting to cross the river each on a single-person raft. LaMontagne said they chose a good place to cross, but the river was swollen.
    “I’ve done a lot of back-country trips,” LaMontagne said. “It wasn’t like we were doing anything crazy.”
    According to North Slope police, LaMontagne noticed something was wrong when he saw that Schoenberg was no longer on his raft.
    LaMontagne saw his friend in the water holding onto the raft. And then he saw him being swept away.
    “It happened real fast,” LaMontagne said. “He could not hold onto his boat. I never saw him again.”
    He searched the water and the riverbank for his friend before walking to a Department of Transportation and Public facilities maintenance facility on the Dalton Highway to report the incident, North Slope Police Officer Steve Lee said. “It’s a real dangerous river in my opinion,” Lee said.
    An Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. helicopter located Schoenberg’s body the next morning. The body was recovered and is being transported to the state medical examiner in Anchorage for an autopsy.
    Lee said the Sag River has been higher than normal because of heavy rains in the Brooks Range.
    Schoenberg’s relatives were notified of his death. His raft and backpack remain missing, Lee said.

GOOD NEWS and TERRIBLE NEWS- the owner caribou rack has contacted me . It will be sent to him next week.
    Bad news is his best friend and hunting partner drowned when they were getting the bou across the Sag.
    The caribou ran across the river after it was shot.

IF I'M ON THE SLOPE HUNTING ,USUALLY AT MILE 50 LAUNCH MIGHT BE AT ICE CUT, I WILL ASSIST WITH MY BOAT TO HELP ANYONE GET THEIR BOU ACROSS THE RIVER RATHER THAN ANYONE ELSE PUTTING THEMSELVES IN THIS SITUATION. I USUALLY POST DATES I WILL BE UP THERE. PLEASE PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND WHEN UP THERE. IF I'M NOT THERE GO TRY AND TALK SOMEONE ELSE INTO HELPING.

wish it was a better reunion

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    wish it was a better reunion
    No doubt...I'm learning more and more each day how fast something can turn sour in this big state. I hope the rack doesn't just fester haunting memories. Good work though for tracking him down...

Default Right rack wrong article

The rack belongs to a friend of mine who I contacted tonight. He is very happy to be receiving it. The article of the person who drowned is not the correct one. This incident happened on Sept 16, 2009. The man who died would have been my father in law (Rick Taylor). There was a thread about it last fall but i cant find it now. I am marrying his daughter on October 30. Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact the owner. Its the kind of kindness that will not be forgotten. We can't thank you enough.

Thank you for taking the extra effort to return this rack to the rightful owner. As you know not only was the rack lost but also the life of of a man that is loved by many "rick taylor". The irony of your letter to dan being postmarked 1 year to the day (9/16/09) after rick died is certainly ironic. While sending this reply i suprised myself by becoming progressively more choked up, i guess i still had some more tears in there. Anyhow i do not want the memory of our friend to go away anytime soon. I have never known rick to quit at anything, as it was his goal to help dan retrieve his bou that day, it feels like this puts closure to a missing piece. Rest in peace rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Justicemedic View Post
    The rack belongs to a friend of mine who I contacted tonight. He is very happy to be receiving it. The article of the person who drowned is not the correct one. This incident happened on Sept 16, 2009. The man who died would have been my father in law (Rick Taylor). There was a thread about it last fall but i cant find it now. I am marrying his daughter on October 30. Thank you for taking the time and effort to contact the owner. Its the kind of kindness that will not be forgotten. We can't thank you enough.
    I am so sorry to hear of this great loss. I cannot imagine the feelings you and your future bride must be having over this right now, but I hope there will be some comfort in knowing that the members of this community are standing with you in prayer.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, and I hope you have many happy years together.

Best regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Justicmedic & Bob R. - you both are quite Welcome. I am extremily sorry for your loss. Not being aware of this tragedy my motivation was just for trophy value and memories of a hunt. now with the full significance of the incident makes even better that i was able to locate the owner of the rack. CONGRATULATIONS on your up coming wedding.
    This again brings out how fragile our lives are. during Aug-Sep of this year I had 3 friends (5 people total) experience near death experiences two very near drownings on Canning river( i only know one of the ladies), second was atually two potenial drownings in PWS ( their boat sank in less than 5 minutes, luckily 2 boats responded before the boat sank) again i only know one of them . and a neighbor was charged by a brown bear and was able to drop it at 20 yards. also last year my son had 3 incidents ( 3 separate hunts that he easily could have be seriously hurt or killed- horse wreck on remote sheep hunt;multiple roll over accident on Haul road and brown bear charge in the dark while on horseback in remote area ) minor changes in these incidents could have caused great loss.