Thread: ATV Winch Cable

Default ATV Winch Cable

I am looking at getting a new winch cable and was wondering if anyone has tried the synthetic cable and if so how it compared to the regular cable.

I have a new synthetic cable. I haven't used it much, but lots of folks swear by them, better than the old wire cable. These post should be in the ATV forum of this site.

I really like the synthetic stuff. It holds up very well. I use the winch quite a bit and have noticed no wear to the line. I redid the shackle on my winch once and had to cut the line. I took a brand new razor to it and had to saw back and forth on it pretty hard to get it to cut.

It is an improvement over wire cable, but bring some sort of a strap or short piece of rope with you to go around anything very abrasive. It is really strong in tension, but not very abrasion resistant.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Synthetic is the only thing I will run. If you have been using wire it is suggested to replace your fairlings or smooth out any burrs the wire may have caused to avoid abrasion issues with the new line. This stuff is alot safer than wire also

Another vote for synthetic. It's strong, it you do manage to break it, you can just knot it. It doesn't kink, and doesn't burr up your hands.

If you have been running wire cable, you'll probably want to change your fairlead as well, so that you have a new, smooth one.

Yet another thing to change out this winter.. Thanks guys

Just use Amsteel from BnJ's or similar. No need to purchase "synthetic winch cable" from Warn or whoever.

I also like using one of those small ball spacers behind my hook now, first so the hook won't nick up the fairlead and begin abrasion, and so I don't have to hook it to the frame/rack or anything.

I prefer the synthetic as well. I have a short section that I use for my plow and two other 50 ft sections for the summer. I'm not sure who sells the stuff over here, but my father-in-law gets it from a commercial fishing supply store in Kodiak. They sell spectra and will also put a thimble on it for you for about $36 per 50 ft. For that price I keep a spare 50 ft with me and it packs down easily for storage. It seems to hold up with the plow a lot better than wire cable. Like others have said, just make sure the fairlead has no burrs on it from an old wire cable.

That is alot cheaper than anywhere else. I paid $60 for 50' at AIH for plasma line. Same stuff but PURPLE!!! I actually have purple on my hunting machine but a couple times in the mud and you can't notice LOL

Love mine. About 50bucks from Amazon and its twice as strong as cable!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

One more for synthetic, I do a lot of wenching...sorry winching , and haven't broken it yet in 3 years.

Default which fairlead???

With synthetic cable do I want to go with a roller fairlead or the billet aluminum hawse fairlead? I've seen both recommend.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Trustworthy hardware in Soldotna sells the 3/16 synthetic rope for .89 a ft. that's a good deal!

Partychief,
    Given the choice, I would go with the billet. With the rollers, there are potential pinch points at the four corners (top left, top right, etc.) where the two rollers come together. That said, a new (unburred) roller fairlead will work, I just think you'd probably get a little more mileage out of a billet one

sr12345,

tanks
    Natural Selection begins with you!