Thread: Low holing? How close are you comfortable with?

Default Low holing? How close are you comfortable with?

I've been thinking about 'Palooza and the potential number of boats that will be on the water. I usually float the 1-man and never have a problem.

What do you consider the proper etiquette when beaching on the same gravel bar as another group? Distance?

Do you always hit the beach above the group or low hole quite a ways down?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

During Palooza there is usually and understanding between boats floating together. Even then. 100 feet above is nice and dont come in like the exxon valdex. Same thing when coming in below. Give the drift a wide birth not to spoke fish then come in nice and calm. Park your rig, say hellos and then spread out to fish. Not everyone has to fish together either. I think we all should do our own things too Come back to camp, share stories, lies, pics and the days events. I know this year Im going off on my own more. With the new drifter, the moter and all Im canyon running for sure and mid river too. We will all be around camp in the evening.

Plus if your coming in to a fellow paloozers bar and they ask you to go by more due to them being of fish, please do. There is alot of river to fish
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'm going for the low version hole 2.0 see below for definition.....

Centerpin from the top of the hole down!!! haha, look out fly dorks here I come

I'm not worried about the 'Palooza folks. My question is a general etiquette question.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I'm not worried about the 'Palooza folks. My question is a general etiquette question.
    I might be weird but if I pull over to a gravel bar, I park the boat above where I want to fish, so I don't scare any of the fish away. So I would say a quite a ways below me. If you have to come in below pull in at the bottom point and then walk up, NOT IN THE WATER THOUGH, walk behind the people fishing the water (not 5 ft behind them either). Everyone makes mistakes, heck I screwed a guys drift up when I passed him in my boat the other day....sorry but sometimes you just can't help it.

My view of gravel bar etiquette, is that if someone is already on the bar working it, you go above them are start at the top. If they are at the top then you wait till they have moved down 60-75 feet and then start your run. Even though I may know that the best part of the run is mid way down or usually the very end of the bar I want to work my way into it, you never know where that gem may be laying or when you are pushing a few fish into that hole where they decide they have had enough of that thing and nail it. So to have someone come in and start fishing below you really makes it disappointing to have your possible work taken by another fisher person.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I've been wondering about this myself. I think if you stay 100-200+ yards away you should be safe. But I know it can get kinda crowded on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I've been thinking about 'Palooza and the potential number of boats that will be on the water. I usually float the 1-man and never have a problem.

What do you consider the proper etiquette when beaching on the same gravel bar as another group? Distance?

Do you always hit the beach above the group or low hole quite a ways down?

Having an anchor generally means never having to miss a good run. If I see folks at the top, and I really wanna hit that spot, I simply pull over as far upstream as feasible and/or (hopefully) fish-able and wait my turn. Low holing is something I strive to avoid. If someone is parked at the top of Blood Beach, the soonest I would pull in below them would be the eddy at the bottom, 1/3 of a mile downstream.

I had a group pull in on me last Fall, I posted that story here somewhere, they came in and parked all over the small island I was on and over-ran it. Over 6 boats with 4-6 people per boat, some wading into the spawning sockeye and fresh silvers, just to "look at em close-up" while others fished within 10 feet of me.....I hope to see less of that....

....But I ain't holding my breath.....

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I always start above, but have no problem reminding someone who forgets to shuffle their feet downstream! Kinda like the golfer with the 50 handicap! You don't need to take 5 practice swings; you're gonna see the ball soon enough 50 yards down the fairway! Tell your story walking

Another low hole worth talking about is when someone floats around you then decides to hit there anchor on top of your gear were you are fishing and you have to reel up to keep from getting tangled in there anchor line (frustrating.) if there is a boat fishing the top of the hole float around it and fish the tail out if there’s room, otherwise float on through to the next hole. I myself try to stay off the oars when passing boats and people fish the bank as not to disturb the fish when traveling by.

All this talk has me all intimidated. I'd hate to do the wrong thing and blow it and be known as the Frazier Crane of the forum
    Which is why the main reason I'll be attending this gala event is for the camaraderie of the campfire, sharing some beverages and last but not least spanking AlaskaHippies medicinal herbs

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    All this talk has me all intimidated. I'd hate to do the wrong thing and blow it and be known as the Frazier Crane of the forum
    hahaha
    I'm right there with you. I'm sure we will be informed if we go about it the wrong way.
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    and dont come in like the exxon valdex.

Now granted I don't float a whole lot, but when I run into someone on the river while I'm fishing on foot I usually just ask.
    "fishing up? or down?", "mind if I jump in ahead/behind you guys?"..

or if they are smack dab in the middle of my 'spot'
    "how many beers is it going to cost me for you to move on?"

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    ...spanking AlaskaHippies medicinal herbs
    I would be careful around the hippie. He's like Tommy Chong in a dress.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    I'm going for the low version hole 2.0 see below for definition.....

Centerpin from the top of the hole down!!! haha, look out fly dorks here I come
    I drop in about 100 yards up stream so I can run some super long drifts.
    Did just that on Thursday guide boat 100yds upstream and 2 private boats 100yds down stream. I broke out the pin and rocked fish after fish in the streach between me and the private boats. One of the dudes came and asked me about casting and setup etc. as he has just picked up an outfit and wanted some input on how to run it. We ended up as friends by the end of the day and fishe the middle yesterday.
    He will be joining us at FP2 on Sunday.