Thread: Bou on the Steese

Default Bou on the Steese

I'm thinking of heading up the Steese to find my first Caribou this weekend. Anybody know if there going to be around this weekend?

Might want to call Fish and Game. I believe that hunt closed by emergency order already.

Steve

Default Open

It was reopened and I just checked the EO's and it's still open. That being said, the EO reopening it is INCORRECT. It states the resident bag limit is 1 caribou, I called Tok F&G to verify/bring it to their attention and they said it was a mistake and would be fixed, well that was last week. Regardless, the 40 mile hunt remains bull only! They seem to be pretty hit or miss up there from everything I'm hearing and seen, you're going to have to work for em', nothing wrong with that though. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    It was reopened and I just checked the EO's and it's still open. That being said, the EO reopening it is INCORRECT. It states the resident bag limit is 1 caribou, I called Tok F&G to verify/bring it to their attention and they said it was a mistake and would be fixed, well that was last week. Regardless, the 40 mile hunt remains bull only! They seem to be pretty hit or miss up there from everything I'm hearing and seen, you're going to have to work for em', nothing wrong with that though. Good luck.
    The emergency order says 1 caribou for residents and one bull for non-residents. I would go with what the emergency order says and not what someone behind the desk at F&G says. They have been proven wrong time and time again. Most of them will even tell you to call the Troopers to answer most questions since they are the ones enforcing laws. Here's a perfect example, a friend of mine had a non-resident military license which for all intents and purposes is a resident license with the exception of needing a guide on certain hunts. We called ADF&G to find out if they still adhered to the non-resident seasons and F&G said yes, meaning they couldn't start hunting Moose until the 5th. While I was on the phone with them, someone else in an office down the hall called and they told him the opposite, that they fell under resident seasons and bag limits. Then I called the Troopers and they told me that they fell under all regulations as a resident with the exception of guide requirements.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I stand corrected, the EO was updated on September 8th. Read the note on the top.
    http://www.hunt.alaska.gov/regulatio...0/03-04-10.pdf
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

didnt see any up there last weekend

Good catch AKHunterNP, I missed that note too when I went back to look at it. Of course logically I thought they'd just issue a new EO with the correct info not just add a note to something that's incorrect. Regardless, even before they put that note on their I'd bet money a person would be ticketed because on the permit itself it states "1 bull". They need to get their poop in a group.

I talked to F&G, they say the best bet is up on the slope. I'm just not looking forward to the 5 mile walk in or out

I've made that 5 mile hike out before. Its worth it if you shoot a real nice one but make sure you have a buddy or two to help pack out and don't shoot more than one bull. Its a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by cavtrooper94 View Post
    I talked to F&G, they say the best bet is up on the slope. I'm just not looking forward to the 5 mile walk in or out
    of course F&G is going to tell you to go to the slope, they are still worried about an overharvest for RC860. Almost everyone will tell you to go up the haul rd. check out the haul road report thread before you go north.

Hi all,
    Any recent reports for bou off the Steese in Zone 1? or off the Taylor?
    Might be my last chance to get out this weekend. Thanks for any current info and good luck to all those still out hunting!