Thread: Waders

Default Waders

Hello,

I live down in california, but I'm moving to fairbanks in February. I was wondering what type of waders everyone uses up there? I use lacrosse swampfox breathable chest waders because it doesn't get very cold down here. Not sure if they will be warm enough up there! I have some rivers west gear I could wear under them but wanted to hear others opinions.

Here's some photos of a few of our hunts last year. My friend and I totaled almost 300 ducks hunting on public land.

Yes that woodie is smoking a cigarette...

Right now those breathables would be just the ticket, its 66 under sunny skies in Palmer.

However the 5 mil neoprenes with insulated bootfeet will be necessary soon.

What you got will do....late season maybe not, since you will be breaking ice i would go with neoprene's. Mos Def 600 boot! thats a must for me at least. I live in fairbanks and getting into late sep, early oct, it will start getting pretty quackin cold.

Welcome to AK. I moved here three years ago from NorCal. The waders you have now will probably be fine. Early season (September)breatheables are comfortable. Late season (October) you might want neoprenes. The waterfowl season in the Fairbanks area and South Central (Anchorage) is short compared to what you enjoyed in California and you won't see the huge flights of ducks and geese you are used to. However, the hunting competition willbe much, much less.

By the time it starts to get cold and the ponds start to freeze the birds will be on their way south. I've broken ice on the ponds in California and I've broken ice in AK. The difference is NorCal is a wintering area and the birds will stick around. In AK that's their signal to head south.

Welcome.....know the feeling of bagging 300 in a season...shame it wont happen here..lol..but you will be in good company and there are some great waterfowlers on this forum that will help....depends on the topic

Enjoy the weather and the short season!

Thanks everyone! The less hunting pressure will be nice, even if the season is shorter and there are less ducks. The one lake we hunt on has a launch time for duck season, so it's a few mile drag race when the clock hits! I'm looking into new motor options for my boat right now, as I've been told my honda outboard will get messed up quick up there. I think I've decided on a mud buddy 35hp. This move is giving me all kinds of excuses to buy new toys!

I don't think there are less birds up here, it's just that you don't have as long to shoot them. That 35hp mud buddy will be the ticket up here. I have a friend who runs one, and it works great to get back into the shallow ponds during duck season, or to get into some great fishing holes during the summer. I noticed those wood ducks in your pics...man I miss shooting those. Good luck and welcome to AK.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

My 02 cents worth. I uesed to wear neos year round but after going to Cabelas Dry-Plus with 600 gram boot foot, never again. My feet will sometimes still get a little chilled,( they did with the neos too) but I like being able to layer my legs. The dry plus won't get rid of all the moisture but they won't be as bad as neos. I camp out when I duck hunt, and puting on wet feeling waders the next day isn't much fun. Not to mention the better movement you have in the beathables.
    Also, enjoy those colored out birds you shot down there. You won't get too much of that up here till about ice up

ESH

Get a dozen of Pintails..maybe a dozen of Widgeon as well...mix it up a bit...should be great!..OH Yeah..grab a dozen of teal as wel..might even want to grab about 6 Golden Eye while you are at it

The neoprenes with the boot built into them are nice because you will eventually get sand and pebbles in the stocking feet ones which will wear a hole into the feet.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Esh View Post
    The less hunting pressure will be nice
    Umm...I am not sure you will find the pressure less in some spots. Fairbanks may prove to have less pressure than down here. No crazy 4am drag races or blind lotteries like your public spots in California, but the few spots that are well defined will have pletty of pressure.

All I wear now days are breathables and just keep adding layers as it gets colder.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    My 02 cents worth. I uesed to wear neos year round but after going to Cabelas Dry-Plus with 600 gram boot foot, never again. My feet will sometimes still get a little chilled,( they did with the neos too) but I like being able to layer my legs. The dry plus won't get rid of all the moisture but they won't be as bad as neos. I camp out when I duck hunt, and puting on wet feeling waders the next day isn't much fun. Not to mention the better movement you have in the beathables.
    Also, enjoy those colored out birds you shot down there. You won't get too much of that up here till about ice up
    I second what duckman said. I wear my Cabela's dry plus until freeze up.

Another for the Cabelas Dry-Plus. They have thinsulate boots that help alot, plus you can layer underneath to fit the conditions. You don't have the sweat-factor as you do with neoprenes. I wear mine year round....frozen or 70F and have been flawless or around 7 years.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

I have used the Cabela's dry fit as well for the last three years in AK. They work just fine. Mine are now 6 years old and I have a leak around the knee I can't seem to fix them. I just ordered Drake's EST Waders. I should get them this week. They look nice and are dry fit as well.

If you are in a lot of rivers, then you will want neoprene as well, 5 mil with 800-1000 gram thinsulate boots. Most duck hunting though, IMO it's overkill but I sweat in neos.