Thread: Deception Creek intel?

Default Deception Creek intel?

Deception creek is STERILE!! Well, not really. But the upper portion of it, up close to the pass, is some of the prettiest water I have ever seen. Gin clear (even when the lower portion is dirty) and incredibly fishy looking. But not a single trout or grayling to be seen.

I've fished it a couple times pretty hard, and tried to enjoy it for the scenery alone, but I've never seen so much as a minnow up there.

I know this is largely a 'flippin Keani' crowd but has anyone had any luck up that way? If so, what time of year was it?

I've heard that Kings run up it, but have never seen any fish or even carcasses up there.
    I'd love to visit it some time when the fish are there.

Any intel would be much appreciated!

Your best bet to stay in the fish is to walk up from the bridge at Hatcher Pass rd. I grew up about 5 miles above this bridge and know that the salmon make it at least that far (I've stalked them on more than one occasion thinking they were moose stomping around in the creek....). There are good rainbows, but it is pretty small water and you rarely get more than one or two bows out of each log jam. I have seen some lunkers in there though.

I once floated the creek from 4 mile road down to the bridge (not recommended!). It was so full of log jams and sweepers that we would have had better luck simply walking it. I think our longest float section was about 150 yds before we had to portage the canoe again.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to fish anything but rainbows and grayling up there. I've seen plenty of fish under the bridge and just above but thats it. Never walked up any farther than that. Sometimes the waterlevel doesn't raise high enough for fish to get through, also the water around the bridge can get ****ed from logs and branches and stuff.

Thanks for the replies... Which bridge is that? It seems there are a couple crossing over the creek as I head out Willow-Fishook Rd... I was up a LONG ways past 4 mile road - There was not a single log jam in the water - Only big boulders and deep pools that I could see clear to the bottom of up there!

And yes, that water is closed to salmon fishing... Find the salmon, find the trout ;-)

Thanks again - much appreciated!

You were on Willow creek not Deception then. Deception is the first bridge you come to when heading up from the Parks hwy. Willow is pretty much sterile up as far as you went because there is a series of waterfalls that keep the salmon from getting that far. Try coming down to Shirley Town road and give it a try.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    You were on Willow creek not Deception then. Deception is the first bridge you come to when heading up from the Parks hwy. Willow is pretty much sterile up as far as you went because there is a series of waterfalls that keep the salmon from getting that far. Try coming down to Shirley Town road and give it a try.
    Well that explains a whole lot!! :-P Too bad there are no fish up that high - it really is incredible to look at. That is the info I was looking for though.
    I will take a look down Shirley Town rd... Thanks for the tip!!

Lots of big bears. I mean lots.

Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Well that explains a whole lot!! :-P Too bad there are no fish up that high - it really is incredible to look at. That is the info I was looking for though.
    I will take a look down Shirley Town rd... Thanks for the tip!!
    Most people don't go to far up from there but I have heard there is a pretty good hole a little up stream from there and people start there and work their way down.

Quote Originally Posted by cut throatAK View Post
    Lots of big bears. I mean lots.
    there are big bears every were on the williow right now according to Farley.............he took a few people down from his camp ground this past saturday and saw 7.

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    there are big bears every were on the williow right now according to Farley.............he took a few people down from his camp ground this past saturday and saw 7.
    Lots of bear on other waters farther north as well... Gets a little spooky when you're up there by yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    You were on Willow creek not Deception then.
    Well that explains a whole lot!!

Sounds like you should stay in your tube on those lakes......

Default Upper Willow

The Willow is not completely sterile above the water falls, you can actually catch some little golden fins on the upper reaches where it's headwaters are. I've actually caught several on flies and a 3 weight. Biggest is about 6 inches long and pretty small water. Also saw a couple of very nice Mayfly spinners around as well.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

Sounds like you should stay in your tube on those lakes......
    Blame the fish and game maps...

I'd rather be fishing from a tube on a sunny day, or fishing Deception creek when it is actually Willow creek, than stuck in a classroom all day

Besides, I like to explore - the worst that can happen is that I get skunked... Right?

Quote Originally Posted by fishnpond View Post
    The Willow is not completely sterile above the water falls, you can actually catch some little golden fins on the upper reaches where it's headwaters are. I've actually caught several on flies and a 3 weight. Biggest is about 6 inches long and pretty small water. Also saw a couple of very nice Mayfly spinners around as well.
    Very interesting... It sure is pretty water - different looking than any of the other parks streams, including the lower half of Willow...

.. stuck in a classroom all day
    You know... ... they teach you how to read maps in some classrooms. Maybe you should look into it. I'd really hate for you to get skunked AND lost.

PS: We're looking at fishing Friday afternoon.. you got plans?

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    You know... ... they teach you how to read maps in some classrooms. Maybe you should look into it. I'd really hate for you to get skunked AND lost.

PS: We're looking at fishing Friday afternoon.. you got plans?
    I've been in some of those classrooms - I believe it was 'being an infantryman in Iraq 301'
    Either way, I usually don't have a problem as long as I remember which way the water is running as I walk...

I can do Friday afternoon - PM or txt me the when and were.

PM or txt me the when and were.
    Now it's getting serious... "PM" me.....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~