Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No place like the land of the Midnight Sun/ Koyukuk 62 IN Bull Moose

Default No place like the land of the Midnight Sun/ Koyukuk 62 IN Bull Moose

On September 1ST me and a good friend Steve set sail from the Yukon River Bridge and our destination was the Koyukuk River nearly 500 river miles one way. I had been lucky enough to draw the early season Koyukuk bull moose tag. So we spent months in preparation, planning, logistics, weight issues, and hunting considerations.
    Our equipment was a 21 ft Jetcraft Extreme Shallow with a 200 hp optimax. The deep currents of the Yukon at times was tough on the jet boat but in shallow water is were we excelled. On the banks of the Koyukuk we were able to get into a hunting area with little hunting pressure running as shallow as 2-3 inches at times. My good friend Steve gave the boat a name “Skinny Dipper” as he was really impressed with its capabilities.

Along the way we made many friends in the villages of Tanana, Ruby, and Galena and we were treated with great hospitality. Upon arriving at our hunting area on the 4th of September we were greeted with cloudy skies with rain. We found a high bluff to climb and I started cow calling on the afternoon of the 6th and 15 minutes later I spotted a large bull moose with a cow and calf. But he didn’t seem interested in our calls he just kept moving. So we took note on that it was still a little early to call and we scouted the area along the river were we seen him cross and we found a major crossing were the willows along the river were just cropped down from moose feeding.
    The rain was reluctant to lift until the afternoon of the 7th and that is when we changed our hunting tactics. So I picked a spot along the river were we seen the most moose sign tracks, browse, etc and I sat patiently in the willows. Around 9:15 pm on the evening of the 7th a cow appeared on the bank and 5 minutes later a very nice bull came out grunting (AAAR) right away I knew this bull was a mature animal and what I was looking for. So I got down in the prone position settled my crosshairs just behind the shoulder and slowly squeezed the trigger. The bull took about three steps and fell in the river. We spent hours the next morning getting him recovered by means of a come-along.

Once we got done butchering the moose into quarters and loaded onto the boat we decided to relax for the rest of the night. As anyone knows that has moose hunted before the work begins when the animal is down. The next day we woke to a beautiful sunrise and Steve cooked an excellent batch of hot pancakes and bacon that hit the spot. We stopped in the village of Koyukuk to donate meat as me and Steve both are small families and couldn’t consume that much meat and the villagers were delighted to accept it. It was a good feeling knowing that all of that meat was split between several families and none will go freezer burnt.

This was truly a dream come true for me I spent several years hunting the Alaska Yukon Moose and what a Monarch he his with little to no success. I would like to personally thank all that made this 1000 mile logistical nightmare a dream come true!!! The Boat Shop for mechanical guidance (Fairbanks, AK), The Alaska Department of Fish and Game area biologist Glenn Stout (Fairbanks, AK) for sound advice and knowledge of the area and for a great management program. And special thanks to my good friend Steve for all your help which I couldn’t have been successful without you.

BIG 27
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stid2677; 09-14-2010 at 13:49.
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Big 27,

Good picture and great story. You seem like someone who truly "gets it" from an appreciation standpoint. Glad you and Steve had a good time.

- Jay

Nice moose Big 27, We leave tomorrow as my wife has the second hunt tag!.....after seeing your bull and reading your story I am really fired up now!

THX, for posting story and picture!

What was fuel per gallon in Galena and Tanana?.....did you buy any fuel at Ruby?

THX, Dave

Sweet. Cool vids, too! BTW, how's the paint holding up on the white camo?

WOW...what great fun hunt that must have been. Cool adventure.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

The stock is looking great maybe I will find time this winter to get out the 220 swift and chase winter critters. Fuel prices varied considerably $6.00 in Galena, Ruby $4.75, and $5.50 in Tanana. In Ruby there was a local selling salmon strips for $25 per bag yummy!!!!
    “A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

I'm totally jealous! I once drew a Bear Creek Moose permit above Galena and didn't get to hunt it. I'd love to run the river and see the sights. Someday I may just wander up to the interior and get-er-done in "Big" style. Way to go guys.

Thanks Tim, we did have quite the adventure. I made you a video of the trip. Be nice it is my first attempt.

Congrats Buddy on a great bull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BQtl2DVxKI

Steve

THX, for the fuel update!....almost the same as last year, I think it was $4.50 in Ruby, that looks to be the only change!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post

We spent hours the next morning getting him recovered by means of a cum along.
    Ummmmmm.... I am not sure exactly what sort of device you used to recover the moose but it sure don't sound too sanitary!! Certainly not something I plan on using on any animal, alive or dead. <grin>

All joking aside, congrats on a great hunt!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Ummmmmm.... I am not sure exactly what sort of device you used to recover the moose but it sure don't sound too sanitary!! Certainly not something I plan on using on any animal, alive or dead. <grin>

All joking aside, congrats on a great hunt!!
    You don't miss a trick do ya Jon???

Steve

Tim (and Steve),

Congratulations! Lori and I just watched the video Steve put together, very well done Steve, we enjoyed it. That is some monster bull that walked up while you had the other down.

I run the Yukon right close to shore like that too where the current is slower, and then ride whatever eddies there are til the last moment <grin>. Glad that Optimax is running smoothly for ya. How much gas did you burn total?

And yeah, that is some funny way of spelling come-along there Tim <grin>.

Way to go, Tim. You guys made it happen with careful planning and hard work.
    Proud to be an American!

Default great video

that was a good ending to your trip. thanks for the video and pics. it looked like that big bull was standing in 6 inches of water.

WHEW! More Good News Outta Koyokkuk! Thank God my faith in man is restored!

Nice Job and congrat's on a Great Moose. Steve great job on the video but what happened to the money shot!!LOL
    Great Job.

Nice job getting her done and one heck of a nice bull Tim! Love the video Steve!!!

After seeing how far you had to winch that bull I would have given towing it with the boat a try. Those darn come-alongs work great but are slow as all can be.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nice job getting her done and one heck of a nice bull Tim! Love the video Steve!!!

After seeing how far you had to winch that bull I would have given towing it with the boat a try. Those darn come-alongs work great but are slow as all can be.

We did tow it until both the bull and the boat bottomed out. We were up skinny river ya know!!! The "Tim-along" worked great anyway, all I had to do was watch...LOL

Steve

that must have been SOME TRIP! 500 miles sounds impossibly far, so you guys deserve all the credit for making that moose hunt happen as it did. great planning, and story. hope you guys have lots of future success.
    happy trails.
    jh

Congratulations on a successful hunt. That was a great video as well, thanks for sharing your trip highlights.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast