Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Anti Rant...Great Hunting Partners!...my first bow moose!

Default The Anti Rant...Great Hunting Partners!...my first bow moose!

After hearing all this griping about bad hunting partners etc. I just wanted to give some kudos to the crew I went with the past few years and hope there are many more to come. Just got back from a hunt with a crew of current and former bushdwellers who have kindly included a man twenty years their junior into their fold.

Last year we had a great hunt and I must have passed the litmus test cuz I was solidly slated as the fourth man again this year. All great, experienced, fun and solid guys that have shown me a ton of things but also had ears open to new ideas from the new guy (some of em even worked). Last year I called in a nice bull and my buddy took the shot and we slogged that toad out of the woods in baking heat and bugs creating a solid bond of trust with each other.

This year when I said I wanted to do a bowhunt he was more than excited to back me up. Within this I made it clear that no bull would walk, just that we try to get in real close before the gun became the method of choice. Well, first morning, first calling session, a nice little bull responded to us and came chargin in. My bud stayed hunkered down and let me call the shots on the calls it took to get him in tight and never moved a muscle as this thing shredded a tree at 12 yards and but never presented a bow shot. When it finally turned and went round the other way he eventually gave me a gorgeous broadside (after holding the bow for more than a minute while he got his long brow tines stuck in a tree) and he got a great view of what was probably the closest he's ever been to a bull, and then the shot flew, THUMP, and he still stayed quiet as a churchmouse while I kept an eye on the bull as it bolted down the hill. The bull stood for a few minutes and I was not completely confident of the hit (looked to be back a bit but was quartering forward) he handed me his gun and said if I wanted to finish it, to make the call myself. Well, I didn't get to as it bolted as soon as the crosshairs were on it, but after the bull was gone, he gave me a smile and a high five that made it clear he was as jazzed as I was.

Despite all being decades experienced moose hunters, the guys asked what the plan was and what they could do. So, we came back a few hours later to make darn sure the critter was done, with my buddy and I on the blood trail, and the others in the boat listening and watching in case we jumped it. Wonderfully, we found him just 50 yards from the last spot we saw him. Hugs and handshakes all around. The rest of the guys came up with the stuff, and insisted I drag my bow back up to get the pics done right. Everybody jumped in on the cutting, trail clearing and packing, and we were washing our hands less than three hours later with the moose hung and cocktails poured.

The composure and support and experience of the whole crew made it one of the greatest hunting experiences of my life. And that was just the hunting, camp was nearly as much fun. Better yet, my buddy and I got to back up the other pair after they put down a beauty of a bull a few days later. I'll post a pic later but I gotta go cut meat in a few.

So, here's to all the great hunting partners out there, and for what you all do to make this lifestyle rewarding and character building....and a heck of a lot of fun.
    Last edited by LuJon; 09-14-2010 at 13:07. Reason: Wall-O-Text (hit enter 2x between paragraphs please) ;)

Great story, Having a good group of hunting partners is a must. I can't wait to see some pics of that bull. Having them in that close must have been a blast.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Let's hear it for great hunting partners! I've had a few. (+1) and thanks for the great story!

Catch It, that is really cool, congrats on your first moose with a bow. Looking fwd to seeing some pics,

Now thats the kinda story that makes one smile. Congrats!!!!!!

Speaking of those "old guys" I took the liberty of breaking your story into paragraphs so that the ole guys don't have to strain their eyes toooo bad to read it. Congrats on a great hunt!

very enjoyable to read. If it was not for my hunting partners I would have never learned to hunt in the first place. Sounds like a great group to go out with. Congrats

Default the old guy thanks you

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Speaking of those "old guys" I took the liberty of breaking your story into paragraphs so that the ole guys don't have to strain their eyes toooo bad to read it. Congrats on a great hunt!
    Since King is off the air while he's on his remote float hunt right now, I'll take the liberty of replying FOR HIM (i.e., not from me):

Thank You LuJon! (<- cut and pasted of course. Is there any other way to post to these forums?)

(, King)

Default pics

Here he is, not the world's biggest (43 in.) but has nice big points and some scary lookin forked brow tines. A total of 100 yards from shot to drop (and closer to the boat...priceless)
    Attached Images Attached Images

From the frontAttachment 38941

Default New to the picture thing

Here's the front shot as a roll over pic.

The other is the exit wound...punched through the chest with the tip bulging out the hide on the far side, I was using 30.5 in. Easton 2117's/ 125 grain stainless steel Snuffers, (thanks to those who recommended them on the bow forum...they were fantastic and fly great), and my old slow Jennings Gale Force bow....just over 210 fps at 60 pound draw. Shot distance right around 15 to 18 yards.

Started using vanes for the first time this year, have bowhunted deer since I was 12 but used feathers in the fair weather midwest. The weekend before after fletching my new arrows, my fletch tite glue failed and all my fletching tore off by the end of long hike in the brush...went with gorilla super glue and all was well. (still not sure what the issue was....I've used the stuff for twenty years...just not with vanes).

This was my fourth moose, solo'd the first two which has it's own rewards but to be able to pull this off with a great crew and do it clean is just priceless (and of course easier on my back)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Thanks LuJon....I guess the story kinda spilled out as fast as it actually happened.

Thanks for the congrats from all, I have been preppin for this for six months with lots of practice and changing up gear from the ol whitetail days to make sure I did it right.

The bow was one my dad got for me when I was 21 after some jackbutt stole my bow from my truck while I was in college (and right before the fall bow trip). Also had some custom work on the string (triple served for shooting bare fingers) by a friend of my dad's back at the shooting club I grew up in in Wisconsin. And "Pick A Spot!" written in sharpie on the riser 14 years ago so I was reminded everytime I drew on a target to dial in and not shoot at the whole animal. Lots of memories wrapped up in this of all the years with dad who got me into archery, taught me how to shoot, hunt and most importantly how to track and make sure to retrieve the animal clean.

My hats off to you for using an old school compound (they are old now). What a great story with a great ending. Moose with a bow is great no matter how you cut it. I have a twenty year old bow that I cant get rid of even though I no longer use it, to many memories.

Default "old" compound

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    My hats off to you for using an old school compound (they are old now). What a great story with a great ending. Moose with a bow is great no matter how you cut it. I have a twenty year old bow that I cant get rid of even though I no longer use it, to many memories.
    That bow looks a lot like mine... old? Uh.... I guess so, actually....

Catch it, is that a PSE ya got there? If so, what model?

Well done Catch It for sure - nice moose - thoughtful post to your companions - great way to use the buddy system 1 rifle + 1 bow etc! Glad you have found some great friends to share with!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Holy smokes 1985 called they want thier bow back... Nice bull and goes to show don't need the latest and greatest in bows, just got to know where to hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Holy smokes 1985 called they want thier bow back... Nice bull and goes to show don't need the latest and greatest in bows, just got to know where to hit them.
    I figured once bows got to costing more than nice rifles that I'd just stick with what I've got ...... Stuff has been dying with pointing sticks in it well before man was flinging carbons at half the speed of sound. I'd shoot traditional if I had the eye (too many arrows in the stratosphere).

This bow looks a little extra goofy to the modern hunter since it's so long from axle to axle (like they all used to be) but it helps alot with the finger pinch since I prefer to shoot bare fingers. (I'd most likely always misplace the release)

It's funny, when I was a kid twenty years ago...200 fps was fast...but then it was 250 then this ridiculous 300 fps stuff. I didn't like this bow when i first got it, but had no cash to replace it and over more than a decade it grew on me. It's wacked lots of deer, squirrels, grouse and even got a turkey with it one year. I appreciate the accuracy that comes with modern high speed bows. But I don't need to click shafts at 40 yards to shoot even a deer much less a moose.

I remember that as well, I haven't bought a new bow in two years last one was a 08 airborne paid 795 for it, I priced one of those destroyer holy smokes, I thought 795 was bad. I was buying speed bows cause at the time I was heavy into 3D tournaments I needed the speed to make up for my in ability to judge distances. My only archery kill a couse deer I shot with a 07 Guardian with a 380 gr arrow I suspect it was going around 285-290 f.p.s as we all know by todays stds that is slow LOL..

It may not be the biggest moose, but I would say your smile is one of the biggest; and that's what really matters. Well done.
    PC gag in place.

Really cool hunt report!

Way to get it done and congrats on the great moose and great hunting partners!

You need to change your screen name to "Old School"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast