Thread: Common sense/law on the water

Default Common sense/law on the water

First I'd like to say that I try not to generalize this against any jetskiers, as I enjoy the sport myself occasionally and know several good people that are safe jetskiers.
    I was out on the Big lake this past Sunday (wanted to run my boat in fresh water at the end of the season) with some friends. I brought along a tube for pulling behind the boat and was dragging people around for fun.
    As I was in a turn I saw a fast approaching jetski that was clearly going to cross paths with me and/or the tube. I slowed down and stopped.
    Waved at the guy. He had two kids with him, so I calmly asked him what he was doing when he went by spraying the person on the tube, so he was about 20 feet off. He didn't seem to be bothered, nodded at me and went on. The jetski appeared to be rented as it had a company sticker on the front. We went on tubing.
    Later in the day the same guy/jetski and another one kept getting close to us or would start making their mindless tight turns right in front of me in my path, so I had to slow down or stop, since I can't make tight turns with the tube in tow. I got tired of it and started taking the tube quite a ways out to try and avoid those idiots.
    As I recall a watercraft is supposed to stay off any tubes/skiers at least 200 feet? But even common sense would probably dictate staying away.
    I was thinking of calling the troopers since we got him on video, but then got over it and didn't want to ruin my day with this crap.
    We still had an awesome day on the water and all my friends loved bouncing around in the water
    Attached Images Attached Images

I couldn't tell you about law, but from just that one pic you posted, that's nuts!

In my boat repair business when we're fixing personal watercraft, in the majority of cases the damage is caused buy the operator acting numb-er than a stump - ie. lack of common sense. The stories from the Rental Company we repair for are real head-shakers.

- Jay

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    ...Later in the day the same guy/jetski and another one kept getting close to us or would start making their mindless tight turns right in front of me in my path, so I had to slow down or stop, since I can't make tight turns with the tube in tow. I got tired of it and started taking the tube quite a ways out to try and avoid those idiots.
    As I recall a watercraft is supposed to stay off any tubes/skiers at least 200 feet? But even common sense would probably dictate staying away.
    I was thinking of calling the troopers since we got him on video, but then got over it and didn't want to ruin my day with this crap.
    We still had an awesome day on the water and all my friends loved bouncing around in the water
    I don't know what it is about PWCs that brings obnoxiousness and mindlessness out in people. We dealt with the same issue up on Stormy lake this past weekend. Users of these craft seem to forget that there are others on the water, ducks, loons, etc. That is why they are losing lake after lake as people get fed up with such behavior. They lost Katchemak Bay some years ago for similar reasons. I don't see any kind of a learning curve however. Kinda sad when people "stupid" themselves out of a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmil007 View Post
    In my boat repair business when we're fixing personal watercraft, in the majority of cases the damage is caused buy the operator acting numb-er than a stump - ie. lack of common sense. The stories from the Rental Company we repair for are real head-shakers.

- Jay
    You wanna talk dumb? Lets talk about me then don't do what I did. I bought the wife and daughters a couple SeaDoos to enjoy while I'm gone for the summer. My wife calls me and says they had a little incident w/ the jetskiis, but don't worry CC skidoo has them fixed and every things good now. I get home to find mangled impellers stacked like cord wood in the garage, the tongue of the new sledbed aluminum trailer thats completely pretzeled, and a bill from CC for 1100.00 for replacing wear rings etc. Does anybody wanna buy 2 jetskiies w/ only 3 hours on them?

Ummm, honey... The truck is longer when you are towing a trailer so you.... ummm can't back up as close to stuff...

In regards to the OP, If that was my kids on the tube then the "conversation" with the jet-ski-er would have been an unpleasant and very one sided event!! When being ejected from a tube suddenly it would have been very likely that the tub-er would have ended up in the path of that ski!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Ummm, honey... The truck is longer when you are towing a trailer so you.... ummm can't back up as close to stuff...
    ...or how about when the trailer is pointing east/west and the truck is pointing north/south don't continue backing up...PLEASE!
    I'm w/ LuJon, the negligent rider would be look pretty funny waddling around w/ my one of my surfer socks dangling from the seat of his wet suit!

I have been on jet skies a couple of time and they are fun. But as posted above it seems as a lot of people leave their common since on shore when they get on them. I live on the bluff above Stariski Creek and two evens ago I heard something and looked over the bluff to see 2 jet skies going up Stariski at full speed. They were over a mile up from the mouth. Stariski is full of silvers now and I thought, how dumb can you be. I called a wildlife trooper the next morning and asked if this was legal. He did not know as he had never run into this before, but he would find out and let me know. Have not heard back yet. Legal or not common since, stay out of a salmon stream.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

russiarulez,
    Illegal, immoral and flatout stupid on the part of the jetskier. I don't remember the exact violation but I have been stopped even with the jetboat for being to close to the rear of another boat, but never cited for anything after a through eqiupment check.

I have had the same type encounters out on Big Lake when I am testing my Bayliner. They like the big wake but I can scare them away pretty easy when I suddenly do an all stop. With the jet boat it is not to much of a big deal as I can run just about as fast as they can with very little wake. Towing a tube or a skier and I would have been no where near as nice as you.

I used to take my boats to Big Lake for test runs and what not, but the jet skiiers drove me off. I did not go out there for years. A few weeks ago I needed to test out a pump replacement on the SeaSport, and decided to go out there and run for a few minutes since its alot closer than Anchorage.
    I barely got on step when all of a sudden 5 jet skiiers showed up and were crossing in front and back of me. One guy was crossing my wake closer than 20 feet. When I idled down the boat, they all hung around for about 10 minutes waiting for me to go again. Finally got bored and disappeared. Scares the crap out of me that I share my world with these people!

They should have a few lakes dedicated just to their PWC usage. Then they can go round and round on each others' wakes and eventually all run into each other. Like the tigers chasing each others' tails in Little Black Sambo. Problem solved

Problem is, and this can be applied to pretty much everything in life, common sense is anything but.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    They should have a few lakes dedicated just to their PWC usage. Then they can go round and round on each others' wakes and eventually all run into each other. Like the tigers chasing each others' tails in Little Black Sambo. Problem solved
    Wait! I thought you were all about liberty? Now you're talking about special rules for PWC owners? Segregating them from the rest of the recreating Alaskans? I personally believe people should be responsible for their own actions and pay the piper accordingly. If you have a problem w/ somebody then address them, but for the love of God don't chastise everybody.

Just me, but I would have stopped, taken up the tube and followed the guy and give him a come to the mountian speach!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/