Thread: They can't all be big...

Default They can't all be big...

It started out as a solo attempt to get a moose with my handgun (45 Colt revolver). My buddy had been in the area a week before and seen a griz, last fall as well. Probably the one that got on my bait station this spring also. So, I decided I'd bring along the 325 "just in case" I saw the griz out at rifle range.

Well, I got back to my spot on my 4 wheeler where I was going to pitch my tent for 5 days and bingo…. I look down across my little saddle and there he is moving away down the valley at about 500yds. I probably shagged him out of there motoring in. He took a turn and looked like maybe he was going to cross into an area I could perhaps get a crack at him so I grabbed the rifle and headed down my side of the ridge a ways. No dice, he disappeared in the brush. Okay, Mr Griz is in the house! Well, from that point forward I kept my rifle in hand in case I saw him again out past handgun range. Now enters the conundrum, I really want to call in a mature bull and get a crack at him with my wheelgun but, what if I see a little guy at rifle range and I've got the rifle in hand? I've always been a meat hunter in the sense that I will shoot the first legal one of whatever it is I'm hunting. I figure if the Lord provides opportunity and I pass it up it's not too good of an idea. I decided that if opportunity presented itself I'd stick to my ways…. fill the freezer. I did some calling, lots of glassing, saw 3 lone cows and a cow and calf. No sign of a mature bull. One night at just before dark I saw a forked/2-3 horn at 265yds, had him in the crosshairs of the 325 but did not want to lung shoot him or wound him and have to track him in the dark, in the brush, perhaps over the steep side, etc. Oh, and Mr Griz is around somewhere as well. Besides, maybe I could still get a crack at one with wheelgun. Next morning I saw a cow and cow/calf. That afternoon after awaking from my nap I was watching a cow and calf across my saddle and heating up some dinner. All of the sudden there's a little forky, moving on out at about 150yds through the old burnt black spruce. Time to fill the freezer, besides, I can drive the quad right to him!

I guess I'm not quite a handgun hunter yet. After all, I did take the rifle in the field with me. I guess the wheelgun bull will have to wait another year.

Here's my little meat bull. Nice size for one guy to handle, one 50 year old guy that is I put the knife to him at 6:30. Had him bagged and loaded by 10:30 and took my time. My other solo bull was bigger and definitely harder to handle. Took me a little longer. Check him out, I call him a double spike, isn't he cute! Whoohoo, tasty moose for the winter!

Bagged and loaded up!

Way to go Snyd!!

Very cool. It would have been sweet to get one with a sixshooter. It's just human nature and it's hard to let an animal walk when your rifle is right there. Leaving the rifle home might be a good idea if you really want to get one with the handgun. Congrats
    Jason

Winner Winner moose for dinner!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Can't tell how it was kilt when on the plate!
    Seems everytime I take a combo of weapons I usually get a critter to be just outa pistol or bow range yet in rifle range - go figure.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default nice but

I know you said it was small but you didn't have to hide it that much Gald the good lord did provide. Just think no broke back!

Default great story

maybe you can hit that gut pile for the bear

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

nice Perry, good job on that one.. you need hlep tracking that grizz down gimme a shout.. would love to bring the calls out with ya...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congratulations, Snyd! It sounds like a good trip altogether - decent weather, several game sightings, a bit o' stalking.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Much to enjoy for you over the winter!

Congrats on the bull Synd. You know that ole 325wsm is just too much fun to put down!!!

Steve

Congrats on your neat looking bull Snyd and good luck with the 45 Colt next season!

congrats hopefully I will have the same luck next few days

Way to go Perry. Yep, those smaller bulls are sure nice to handle if you're alone. Will be good eating for you and Barb all winter for sure.

can't eat the horns anyway. Good lookin' moose, although driving up to it looks like cheating.....
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Awesome, Perry! Way to go.
    Proud to be an American!

Congrats Perry!

Congrats on the bull! Good eating for sure. Nicely done.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I don't think I have ever been in the position to comfortable pass up a small moose in favor or waiting for a larger. Also know the pleasure of single person handling a small moose.
    Congrats. Good story.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

well done sir, well done.

Congratulations. When I first saw the top picture I thought that the gun boot was a giant antler.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer