Thread: wrong side up Cub in the Brooks..........

Default wrong side up Cub in the Brooks..........

Just got back from a hunt in the Brooks range and on the way out we saw a Cub upside down on the Ribdon. Due East of the DOT camp at Sag. No one around waving their arms. So we didnt attempt to land in soft tundra also.
    Anyone know what happened?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Are you sure that it was older and that there was no one in it. I would think that if you had the ability to land that you would want to make sure that someone wasn't trapped or hurt so badly that couldn't move. Have you talked with the troopers? Did you get the tail number?

I'm not going to question Akgramps for not landing to check out the Cub. When a Cub noses over on a soft surface it's pretty rare that anyone gets seriously injured. Landing in the same spot would likely result in two Cubs on their backs. I would suggest in a similar circumstance to make a note of the precise Lat/Lon off your GPS as well as description of the aircraft (a tail number is great but sometimes difficult to read off the planes with the small numbers). As soon as you get in range of an RCO call Flight Service and ask them to relay the information to the Rescue Coordination Center. If you call the Troopers your going to talk to a dispatcher who may be dealing with something they feel is more important than a plane on it's back. The RCC only does rescues and will start working on it right away. While your over the damaged plane have a listen on 121.5. When antennas break sometimes you can only hear the ELT when your very close to the wreck. For those of you that have two radios it's a good idea to monitor 121.5 all the time now. Since there is no more satellite monitoring of 121.5 we need to look out for each other more than ever.

akgramps - please don't take my response as insinuating anything and wasn't meant that way. Propably could have worded things a little different but it just a short quick post. Have you found out anything else that you can share?

I am not a pilot, just a passeneger. There was no-one in or around the plane and landing was not a option unless we wanted to be upside down as well. I am reasonably sure it was reported?
    No further knowledege at this time. I thought maybe some one here had more info?
    I hope there were no injuries? and of course was wondering what happened? Kinda odd place to land as fairly apparent (to us anyway) that it was real soft ground. Maybe forced landing?
    TR

As soon as you get in range of an RCO call Flight Service and ask them to relay the information to the Rescue Coordination Center. If you call the Troopers your going to talk to a dispatcher who may be dealing with something they feel is more important than a plane on it's back.
    RCC is going to route the call to AST. They don't go unless we aren't going. Aircraft crashes are VERY important to us and we go to quite a few. Search and Rescue statewide is one of our constitutional mandates and we take it very seriously.

akgramps - any word one the situation?

Jimt - you sound like a member of one of the squads... you know of any way to research the situation or the results?

Quote Originally Posted by JimT View Post
    RCC is going to route the call to AST.

You sure about that?

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    akgramps - any word one the situation?

Jimt - you sound like a member of one of the squads... you know of any way to research the situation or the results?
    No info, the guy I flew out with will be back mid week. Maybe will know more then....................?
    TR