Thread: Muskrats.....

Default Muskrats.....

I know ive been putting alotta questions up lately guys...just trying to pound it all in before im back in kodiak and dont have alotta acess to computer..so try to stick with me.. lol

i have 23 muskrat in my freezer still from early this spring...what do you all do with them, like caring with there fur and all? because i see picture of the muskrats inside out on cloth hangers...and just have no clue what to do with these things...but really want to care for them soon.

im new to trapping up here and relying on the forum to keep me up to date

thanks everyone, Lbtrapper

try to find, buy or borrow hal sullivan's fur handling 2000 video, it'll tell or show you need to know about fur handling. Now for the second part of this answer, I understand your new to trapping as you stated, anfd there is a learning curve.... but maybe you should have figured out the put up of fur before putting out steel. Just my 2 cents worth. good luck

Aktrpr

Muskrats are very easy to skin there are a few different videos on you tube that demonstrate how. You basically make some cuts from heel to heel ( going around the anus when you get to that part) then skin down with a knife a few inches all the way around to give you a handle so to speak then you just turn it inside out and pull the skin around towards the face. Depending on how thawed out will determine how easy this step is. You should be able to easily peel its skin back the only resistance you may encounter is when you get to the face. Once you get to the face and start to feel the resistance you either can pull harder or carefully skin around the trouble areas. There should be no fleshing to be done at this point because you just peeled it all back but if there is remove it and you should be good to go for the drying process. Skin out or fur out is all a matter of preference and how your buyer wants them but I am assuming you dont have a buyer since you dont know what to do with them. The only way to get proficient is to get at it and start practicing and since you have 23 its ok if you botch a few its not like you are dealing with a higher dollar fur so if you make some mistakes it is ok I dont think your going for NAFA top lot just yet.

I have seen stretchers go used for as low as a $1 each. Check eBay for cheaper ones.

hey guys...sorry this was my fault, i know how to skin them and there on the wall now...but i wanted a few to have tanned for the cabin the rest is hats, gloves all that good stuff lol...sorry for the confusion. AKtrpr this isnt my first go around trappin just my first with muskrats but they all are being put to use...but great point...your right...i guess the question im trying to get to is do you guys know anywhere near wasilla to send these guys in and get them tanned, also for fox marten and coyotes?
    oh!!!Tagged my first fox of the season today! nice cherry red...fur is loooking good already, anyone else got one?
    good luck to ya

good prices and good service tanning: http://www.moytown.com/

I'm curious what unit you are trapping in? I didn't realize that fox trapping was open already. Seems mighty early for fur to be priming up.

he probably shot it. Fox opened up on the 1st under small game regs

I second the Moyles Tannery. I've had good luck with them.
    PC gag in place.

If your gonna send to moyles or another high volume tannery, now's the time to do it. If you wait until late winter they will be busy and it will take longer.

I've had great luck with Moyles, although this year the quality wasnt quite as good as normal, still good...but has been better..I think it's because they were super busy...my foxes and yotes took over 4 months this time...

Default prime fur

I see you have a fox already and it is a nice cherry red good deal. However just some words of wisdom. Prime is not determined by the color of the fur on the out side alone it is also determined by the color of the leather on the inside once dried. I am betting once stretched and dried it will be more than just blue but darn near black at this time of the year. If you are taking for a wall hanger no big deal. If you are hoping to have something made out of it you are going to have a hide that is pretty much to thin to do much with and a skin sewers nightmare as the thread will rip through the leather when sewing. Not to be critical just to inform not just you but others canines are no where near prime right now so think twice before rolling one over if you hope to use it for anything other than a wall hanging.
    I will also give a thumbs up to Moyle they have tanned well over a thousand furs for me over the years and are the only place I will send my fur to.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

otterman....just a wall hanger for sure..., i saw him and just kept walkin then thought twice about getting some fur up in my cabin... so took about a 30 yard shot and rolled him...didnt even seem to notice me, i was in the high hills when i got him (was ptarmigan hunting) but he didnt seem to care one bit i was there. and maybe it was just my altitude but there fur did seem nice for this time of year....? but thanks for that info boys. wanna get all these rats tanned up... and alaska bound.. trapping isnt open yet, i shot him with a 22 mag. just itching to start trappin though..

I appreciate you clearing that up for me. thanks..

forgot to ask, in last post...i know some tanneries are really anal on how you send stuff in.. with the moytown place does the hide need to be skin side out or fur side out?

Moytown is pretty easy goin' and doesn't matter. I send them mink skin side out and no problems. Fox I turn into them are fur side out.

Send them in air dried to Moyles. They don't care if they are fur out or not, and will turn them all fur out when they send them back to you.

I highly recommend Moyles. Send LOTS in every year and they do great work and are great to deal with!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

thanks everyone..great help...i think im done with the questions for now looking foward to seeing pics of the fur too come..good luck

in new to this site and from ohio by football hallafame im just curious on what your furs sell for like rats mink fox ares go up and down all the time rats 3.00 to5.00,fox 30to90,mink 25to40. and can you make a liveing trapping up north,