Thread: Denali Hwy

Default Denali Hwy

Leaving Anchorage tomorrow heading towards Cantwell to drive the Denali Hwy. Just wondering if anyone has any helpful thoughts or suggestions for fishing up there. I have never been but have heard the Grayling fishing is off the chain. I am planning on fishing my way to Cantwell, fishing down the Denali Hwy and then fishing down from Paxson if anyone has any suggestions for any area thats a must fish would be helpful. Thanks

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Heard there was a mayfly hatch up there recently (near the richardson).
    pm sent

Get off the beaten path. Yes you can fish every stream that crosses the road, but you would be amazed at the holes you can find if you just walk up/down stream a bit.

We've been two weekends in the fall so far. It was COLD at night, and the flies were horrendous on the Paxson side. Tangle river/lakes are always a blast for sheer numbers, but we always had luck in smaller, more remote streams. We tried a lot of flies but the best luck we had was with black boddied dries.
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

Thanks for the info Crimson. I have read some of your recent posts and looks like you guys had fun for sure. Thanks again

Yep. Post a report when you get back! I wanna see pics =D
    Thank God for people who don't fish!! Not much would get done without them =)

You gotta hit Clearwater Creek on the way by. Sure, it's right beside the road. That being said, I've never seen grayling popcorn like they did at the hatch I witnessed. My 3 year old was popping grayling left and right. The confluence on your left as you cross the bridge is a great stopping spot. Have some lunch and hammer a few fish.

If the water is moving then there's grayling.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Just came back from moose hunting in that area. After we all got our moose, we hit up some of the streams we crossed with the big buggy. Some hawgs for shure
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Just came back from moose hunting in that area. After we all got our moose, we hit up some of the streams we crossed with the big buggy. Some hawgs for shure
    Player you got it made! sounds like you got a cool dad, taking you all over Gods green earth in his plane.

We actualy made the trip with the big hunting buggy sister bf the dad and I went out. Got a moose and lots of grays. Great trip and great time to get out in the fall! Dads in lorado for work untill 10/11/10 so no more fun trips lol.
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee