Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About the palmer hay flats

Default About the palmer hay flats

Well this is my first year hunting ducks in AK. So far I have only hunted palmer hay flats. Putting in at rabbit and heading down to the "lake" I have learned that it pays big to get way off into that place and prevent guys from setting up 50 yards from you. I have never see a worse display of sky busting then the ones I saw on sunday. Or the ******* in a rented jet boat with a 35hp that thinks its cool to wake a canoe in that small ass creek. but from what I have gathered is the place pays off if you are willing to put in some work, I've managed to get 6 or 7 birds a morning even with the poor weather. I almost always hunt solo due tot he fact that i dont know anyone who is serious about duck hunting. so as you can imagine this place is tough to hunt when it just one guy. but anyway enough with the rant. A few questions for you guys. I know the ducks don't have color this time of year so I removed all the drakes from my spread, well this seems logical to me I still see tons of guys with a regular mix of deeks. Am I the one in the wrong? Second question, is there a better access point to the "lake" then going all the way down the creek. My boat situation is a canoe with a 2hp outboard. I can get a bigger boat but I'd rather stick to what I got due to the fact that the bigger boat comes with someone i don't care to hunt with. thirdly, is the any other locations in the general anc/mat su that I should be looking at? And lastly, is there a proper name for that lake? I know everyone knows the one I am talking about.
    Thanks guys
    Griffin

First off yes it pays to go farther. People here complain that some of us leave deeks out. And when they set up in the am not knowing that there is a spread near by and bam you have people on top of you. I have found that in hunting out there for over 15 years, theres more of a problem of people setting up knowing your there. Had a guy set up 80 yards right in front of me, right across from the pocket. Long story short he didn't stay long. I think some people just don't know any better, with sky busting included. I confess to busting a few times but only after it's been real slow or on those limited occasion of crans or geese. I have made long shots before. As for some peoples ethics running boats on the slough . I feel for you, been there as have people I know that hunt it. Most probably due to not knowing the rules of the road when it comes to boating. I have taken the coarse a few time due to my job. I have heard the excuse that "I put out less wake going fast then slow" or " I need to stay on step". BS to both of those. I hunt " (it's called Duck Lake, if your talking about the one on the left) by myself mostly also. I do know a lot of people that hunt it and do have a partner that I camp with, and on a few occasions hunt the same spread, but would rather be alone and do quite well on ducks. Now for your blocks, some people take out the drakes some don't. I don't. As for another access point I'll let someone that uses it tell you about it. I have never went in that way my self. As for other places to hunt, search this forum it will tell you a lot. Tried to send you a pm but it said you can't accept them. You need to fix that.

Why do you guy's keep going on and on about where Duck lake is and how to get there? Do you think there needs to be even more people out there? The place has been semi-secret for years, the way you guys go on and on about it every one with a shotgun and a decoy will be there soon. You complain about someone setting up to close to ya, you might want to add a stool or two in your blind. I've hunted there for years and all I ever say is I hunt the flats. Think about it.

Semi-secret for years ,LMAO to that. Besides sounds like he has already been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin4590 View Post
    Or the ******* in a rented jet boat with a 35hp that thinks its cool to wake a canoe in that small ass creek.
    Griffin

I read the regs as a 20 HP limit. I don't go down the creek due to the limit. Where are the duck cops when you need them?!

Quote Originally Posted by rudesinak View Post
    Why do you guy's keep going on and on about where Duck lake is and how to get there? Do you think there needs to be even more people out there? The place has been semi-secret for years, the way you guys go on and on about it every one with a shotgun and a decoy will be there soon. You complain about someone setting up to close to ya, you might want to add a stool or two in your blind. I've hunted there for years and all I ever say is I hunt the flats. Think about it.
    I agree, lots more people out there, yes, the guy has already been down to the lake but maybe the majority of people that read this forum that aren't members of the forum haven't been there. Keep talking about something and more and more people will show up, just the way it is. Lots of "internet scouts" out there.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydawg400 View Post
    I read the regs as a 20 HP limit. I don't go down the creek due to the limit. Where are the duck cops when you need them?!
    20 hp limit is on duck lake, not rabbit slough. if going in a canoe, the other entry location is not a good idea, (big water and fast current),stick to rabbit slough. it takes a lot to set up and hunt duck lake, that is the reason it does not have more people, not that others don't know about it. i will be hunting alone mostly the rest of the season, a partner can be a pain in the butt, but pm me if interested in joining me one day. Bud

thirdly, is the any other locations in the general anc/mat su that I should be looking at?
    The Jim Creek complex is the other small boat friendly spot. Make sure you have a push pole and what ever you do don't get out of the boat until you have proven that the material under you is hard enough to support your weight.

Go out there in the day light and scout around. Its huge and there are vast areas that don't hold any birds so you need to figure that out if you want to do more than have a boat ride.

From the Glenn, take the Old Glenn turn off before the Knik, cross the Knik and head for the Butte, drive a ways and then turn off the Old Glen on to Maud Road. Maud Road "stops" in front of some houses in a big turn around and becomes a gravel road at McRoberts Creek. Keep going until you see a boat trailer parking area on the left. Go over the cliff and launch your canoe. Do not park down there. I seriously hate the lazy azz canoist and kayakers that park down there and block the ramp turn around.

This is the main access to Mud/Gull/Swan/Leaf swamps. For a decent lay out of the lakes go to the fishing regulations and review the Knik Arm drainages for salmon fishing. That is one of the best maps for the area even though it is not as accurate as it could be.

If you drive to the end of the road you will be at Jim Lake which has a horse power restriction. The possiblities with a canoe in Jim Lake are pretty good and you should scout it well. Lots of shore hunters pass shooting on one side. You can also access the Jim/McRoberts Creek sloughs by a portage on the far side of this lake. The current in McRoberts is minimal but the current in Jim coming out of Swan lake can be pretty fast so your 2hp may stuggle getting up it. Lots of logs and stumps to bump on in the sloughs.

Right now the water is really low so you may not be able to use your motor in a lot of the swamp.

As for the Hay Flats having anything considered a "secrete" is laughable. That right there is funny. Way too funny.

Duck Lake is not a per say secret but it is one hell of a nice place, arguably the best area to be. You can bag Ducks, Geese and Cranes. If people practice ethical hunting you should be able to have a nice hunt. You will have to compete and expect to with calling your layout and bottom line is you need to be where the birds are enclosed is a pic of a hunt at Duck Lake and we had people on 2 sides of us but plenty of room. Later on the rooks will be gone and just good ole duck hunting brothers so look out after each other no one enjoys confrontation.

Attachment 38930

As AKDuckman..put it....he has been there already...sure he has spent his time out there scouting it out as well...enjoy the time spent solo out there Griff..or come join the fun. I like many others that hunt this lake know the difficulty in hunting it..takes at least a couple of guys to help you get in there and the hunting can be great!. The overall birds this year has been lower than what we normally see out there and the number of hunters has been even lower. I dont see this being a huge problem. The most I have every seen out there was 5 different locations where hunters were set up...it helped us more than it hurt. Usually there are guys hunting the river next to the lake..this helps keep them from rafting up on the southwest corner..the marsh across from the slough toward wasilla gets the pressure from the guys coming in on Cottonwood creek etc..this helps us and we help them by keeping them jumping back and forth...probably helps having someon on far east end as well where the blind was burned down by AFG...regardless.. I know having to many hunters can be a pain in the ###..but at times just enough spread out does help.

Griff..look for the scavenger motor..say hello and join us one day...I have introduced many to this wonderful sport and am obsessed with waterfowling as many on this forum are.. I dont mind sharing a sunrise in the blind nor a cup of joe. I will tell you I have introduced 3 to the sport this year and cant seem to shake them lose for a solo yet...we will see how hard they are when the temps drop though.. I love hunting the ice...cant wait.

Boating on the slough can be tough at times...regards to others with the big motors...they only have one place to go, unless they are going to leave it tied up...even then..they might come back to it under water. It is important to have a sense of caution when running this...there are many out there to include me that are not moving fast and it does piss me off when they come running by....but thats just part of it I guess...take the good with the bad. I cant shoot them..so have to laugh it off..life it so short.

Decoy... I pulled my drakes earlier...but will bring them back in this next weekend and carry them out till the end of the season.. I noticed some greenheads out there this past weekend. I think it helped up to this point.

Any other questions...PM me.

DH01

As far as this place being semi secret.... thats a joke, I found it on google earth and managed to make it there in the dark on the first try. If you own a boat and you hunt the flats then chances are this is where you go anyway! DH01 and yukon, idk what is up with my PMs it says i haven't finished the reg process? any ideas on how to fix it? either way feel free to text me 843 343 9798 I'll be missing this weekend due to work but will be out the thursday thru monday next weekend. Hopefully its colder and more birds push down this way. I did see two flocks of geese this weekend but way far off. I think i'm going to pull the boat over the portage and motor further in. feel free to hit me up and swap some info. I wouldn't mind sharing a blind and a sunrise with some dedicated duck hunters
    Thanks
    Griff

Griff, the PM issue is that you have not been around long enough to earn the privilage. This has something to do with a huge spam issue from last year. Check out the forum issues thread way down at the bottom and you will find an explanation.

You can ask a moderator to open it up for you since you appear to not be a spam bot.

Griff

Let me know what you are driving back there.... I know some others as well as me that will go off if you move in close to our positions...If I know it is you.. I will hold off on the warning shot!..lol

DHO1

I know AK Duckman will be hidden well...but if you get to close..he will let you know. He camps out there and will probably have his dekes already set...just FYI(for your information) I can give you some ideas on where we hunt....dont want you setting up to close to us. unless you have some hot joe!

I don't hunt duck lake, but I have my spot somewhere else. I just wanted to respond to your question about full color drake decoys. I use them, and have never seemed to have a problem with them. I believe it's actually not a bad idea to have some in your spread. My reasoning behind this is, brighter colored decoys can be seen from farther away. So the birds should be able to lock in on them from higher up, or farther out. I bought a couple swan decoys for this purpose too. Not only are they big, and bright, they should work as confidence decoys as well. I know some guys probably think I am an idiot putting those full color drakes in my spread. But as I said, I have never had a problem, and usually shoot quite a few birds every day I am out.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

DH01,
    I roll in a canoe with a 2hp honda. All you need to do is shine me a light and I will give you as much space as I can. I am a firm believer in not crowding people! I almost lost it this past sunday and I guess whoever it was thought it smart to move!
    Ray,
    Who is the moderator that can hook that up? I'm deff not a spam bot!
    Duckslayer,
    Thats kind of what I was thinking myself. I am about to buy 2 dozen more to add to my spread (currently all mallards) any suggestions?
    Thanks again guys

Griffin
    What time you heading out next thursday? I will be back out then myself. I plan on hitting the slough around 10:00am or so. I camp just before the first shack/portage. I like to hunt alone for the most part, but if you would like to share a fire at night that would be cool. If you can bring a few sticks to add, that would be even better. I'm not such the hard ass that that some try to make me out to be. I just don't belive in CHANGE. Remember where that got us, the last time someone ELSE made it sound like a good idea.

Griff

If the better half does what she says she will do...then I will be out Sat afternoon and camp where AK Duckman does. I dont think he will be there this weekend, Next weekend we will probably all be there thursday night...feel free to stay the night and as he stated..bring some extra wood for the fire...we have a tendancy to stay up late and talk duck.

Your boat will work out great out there...will take you awhile to get there...but nothing like a slow stroll through the marsh..got to love it!

We will have a couple of great spots for you to hunt out there if interested....

DH01

I like to add half a dozen widgeon (4dr, 2hens), half a dozen teal, half a dozen pintails (3 dr, 3hens), and 3 bluebills (2 drakes and a hen) in my decoys. That mixed with the mallards seems to be a pretty good spread. The birds like it, and that's all that really matters.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Oh and griff BYOB

Ray,
    Who is the moderator that can hook that up? I'm deff not a spam bot!
    Any of them can change your settings...try BrianM or LuJon by posting down on the forum tips at the bottom that you want your status changed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast