Thread: What is your favorite Lingcod jig?

Default What is your favorite Lingcod jig?

What are your favorite styles and colors?

Boneyard "glo" curly tail and/or "rootbeer" with one of their painted jig heads.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I want them big enough to avoid rockfish and heavy enough to get down through the rockfish layer quick. I'm using 24 ounce heads I cast myself and 10" black skirts over 10" white skirts or "hoochies" from bluewater trolling suppliers. We get most of our big lings from under schools of black rockfish, hense the color combo. Dynamite and cheap to use on rough bottoms.

I used a PLine Halibut Buster Jig for the first time this year... the name was a little misleading, never caught a halibut on it, but the Lings were automatic, we did get some rockfish. Kid of a fish shaped Dart style jig 16oz. Then again I caught a Ling on a 16oz leadhead with a bananna peel on it. Contrary to popular belief they aren't bad luck, but very nutritious. I don't think you can really avoid the rockfish in a ling hot spot. Maybe put a huge piece of bait on a jig so the rockfish can't get thier mouths sround it???
    Good Luck in the search, keep us posted

They don't seem that picky, but a leadhead w/ a large white grub seems to be a good place to start.

I've taken with most styles and colors of grubs/scampi's/shads, as well as solid metal jigs of various colors.

Mostly agree with Paul H and have caught many with that setup ... but I have also had lot's of luck with 1/2 hering with about a 1 lb. weight, get down through the rockfish and wait for a big Halibut or Ling ..... Ling are really agressive indiscrimnate feeders ... if it looks like food they hit it, as a fisherman I look for structure with ribbons of rockfish on the sounder and I expect hits at the top or when I crest the structure on the lee side of the tide.
    Last edited by ocnfish; 10-04-2010 at 20:37. Reason: spelling

I donít mean to hijack, but has anybody ever had any luck with a piece of copper pipe filled with cement?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Cement is too light. Fill a copper pipe with lead and you have a good ling jig. Rig it with a 6/0 - 8/0 1X strong treble instead of the 3X strong trebles most jigs come with and you will (almost) always get it back after hanging up. Just bend the hook straight and get back to fishing. Copper/rust/rootbeer is my favorite color down here in SF, but the further North I go (e.g. SE Alaska) the betteer I do with white unless I am in a huge pile of rocks. My theory is that white works better up North because of the prevalence of herring and pollock - most ling food down here is black or brown.

Big_E

One should also stock a variety of buzz bombs. Some of the largest lings I have seen on my boat have been caught on chrome buzz bombs. Not all of them had black bass attached, either.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Speaking of which .... "Not all of them had black bass attached, either." Kids never cease to amaze, Two years ago we were on top of a few hundred rockfish and the boys, towards the end of the limit (at the time) of 20 phelagic rockstars, saw some real big brown fish around the Rockfish as they were pulled out of the school. Trent kept a bass on the hook for a while and ... sure enough, some large Lings started chewing on them (medevial) ... Son Ryan dropped his jig out next to the Ling/Rockfish combination and Trent gave the bass a jerk, it came loose and the Ling immediately decided the jig looked good also ... Mike Tyson like the Ling went for it and itself became .... FOOD :~) Oh yea, once the big ling was in the fish box it puked up a medium sized pink salmon ... guess they are also attract big Lingbig lings.jpg
    Last edited by ocnfish; 10-07-2010 at 18:30. Reason: additional thought

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Oh yea, once the big ling was in the fish box it puked up a medium sized pink salmon ... guess they are also attract big Lingbig lings.jpg
    Lings like salmon. Check out my underwater video of a big ling stalking and then chasing a bunch of "jack" kings:

http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_me..._eat_kings.wmv
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Kodiak Custom bottom fish jigs...we slayed em this summer. Tough product, can't say enough about it. http://www.kodiakcustom.com
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Charterboat Operator

Default My extra tuff

I think its great that you guys think you need different colors or shapes of jigs to catch these prehistoric animals, the poor *******s will bite what ever is in front of them! People who don't no how to fish fish ling cod!! I could limit 6 people out in one drift using pieces of old boots!!! I want to see the whole thing shut down!!! leave um alone!!!!

Looks like Nemo is trolling!

Straining blank water, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Fish & Game is on the right track by resticting the season from July 1st on, I agree that they are rediculously easy to catch .... but it is also a great big ocean out there and I think that there is a lot of good habitat that is not discovered by the local fishermen, I know a few spots in late august that will still produce big ling. And ... no I will not share the GPS coordinates. :~)