Thread: Delta Youth Moose Hunt Questions

Default Delta Youth Moose Hunt Questions

We are headed out early Friday to try and fill my neice's moose permit for the Delta Youth Hunt. I was hoping to get some suggestions from people who have done this hunt or are real familiar with the area. We decided we will do it all on foot, no bikes or carts, so we'd like to stay within a couple miles of the enterence where we plan on camping. That brings up the question, where should we focus our hunt? We hunted the area in October and a few times over the winter while filling my dad's bison tag, so we are familiar with the area, but is one spot better than another?

In mid October we saw 28 moose in one day in and around Delta, so we are pretty confident we will get stalks in, but how skittish are those moose in there? They didn't seem to mind us too much when we were looking for bison, but we didn't toy around with them much.

Can we expect any 50" or 4 browtine bulls in there?

Any other tips or suggestions would be appreciated. We are really hoping to get Sydney her first kill.

you might see 50 inchers in there, but a lot of them get picked off during september. i think the east barley field has wind rows that you can use to your advantage if you see a moose a ways out there. the moose there seemed to have gotten steadily more wary each year with more hunting pressure. it has been overhunted a bit with the easy access, and there were tons of cow permits given out for there. i think you have a real good chance at bagging a cow quickly, not so sure about the 50's.

I was under the assumption that the Panoramics and Gerstle fields were off limits to moose hunting with the exception of this youth hunt. Is that correct, or is there a general season hunt there as well?

We are leaving it up to Sydney to decide if she wants to shoot a cow or wait for a bull. She's the tag holder, so we're going to give her some say on what she wants. F&G only gives each permit holder 4 days for the hunt though, so we can't be too picky.

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I was under the assumption that the Panoramics and Gerstle fields were off limits to moose hunting with the exception of this youth hunt. Is that correct, or is there a general season hunt there as well?
    I'm pretty sure that you're correct in that assumptio. Neither the cow hunts nor the regular season bull hunts take place in the same area as the youth hunt.

I don't have experience with this hunt, but a student of mine went up there last fall and took a beautiful 53" 4 brow tine bull on his first morning hunting. If I were going up there with a kid, I would encourage them to hunt the first day or two looking for a bull, then turn our attention to a cow on day three. There is nothing wrong with filling the freezer with a cow, though, so whatever she wants. There is a chance for a nice bull, though. Good luck to the young hunter, and let us know how it turns out.

you're right, the fields are off limits in general season, but outside the fields is open, and some bulls get nailed when they leave the fields.