Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 338 win mag expiriances

Default 338 win mag expiriances

hi im 17 and i got a 338 win mag this year for moose hunting i have shot it and recoil is not to bad i can accuratly shot it my told me storys of this hard hitting round is it a tru hammer or not much difference between then 30-06?
    shot pics or tell stories abut the hitting power of the 338

The 338 trumps the 06 in every aspect...spell check/proof reading helps too...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    The 338 trumps the 06 in every aspect...spell check/proof reading helps too...
    you ain't gotta no how to spell to no howta shoot... you only have to know how to spell so that you can accurately lie about it later....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I hear ya...makes conveying a question easier...and the lying...

It will kill just fine. I prefer the non-magnums these days. I haven't seen a bit of difference in the how fast they die either. I have learned its more about the rifle and bullet selection than the case. Not a thing wrong with the .338 mag though.....

Attachment 38915

One shot from my .338 WM with a 225 gr Barnes TSX and this bison hit the ground before I could get my eye back on it following the recoil. Bullet went through both shoulder.

I don't think you'll find to many guys who will tell you that the .338 isn't a great hard hitting Alaskan round. Moose season is upon us, get out there and put that new rifle to work.

Thumbs up

It is a very good round for Alaska and I believe the difference between it and the 30-06 starts to show up more when animals go over 500 lbs. If a stout 225 or 250 grain bullet is used it provides great straight line penetration. With today's bullets it's does not have the advantage it did 30 years ago because today's "super bullets" retain so much weight they have made smaller calibers "enough gun" for any Alaskan animal. Still, as much as I like the 30-06 I will take a .338 Win. Mag. and 250 grain bullets any day over any 30-06 load if I am hunting moose in the evening in thick timber or had to face a pissed off brown bear at close range. It has been my go to caliber for most of my 45 years of hunting in Alaska. Is it needed to kill our Alaskan critters, nope, it is not. But if you do your part and stick a good bullet in the right place it does the job, as will the 30-06. I do not believe it is as easy for most shooters to shoot as well as a 30-06 and 180 grain bullets if 250 grain bullets are used. I am well aware of recoil even though I have shot the .338 for a long time. Once I admitted that to my self I learned to shoot it better. If you enjoy shooting it, use good bullets and chose your shots wisely you will have good stories to tell in the years to come.

Take a look at my "photos" section of my profile. Everything in there is dead from my .338 (except the goat and deer). Really nice gun. Does have some bite, but a muzzle break now makes it easy to handle. One thing (and I'm sad about) is it ate teh Winchester Fail safe bullets like a CHAMP. Best bullet out of it....and then Winchester discontinued making them for the .338.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

agreed, no one is likely to knock the 338. Great power, range, ammo availability and doesn't knock your teeth out (not that I enjoy bench shooting mine all that much, but in the field it has been fantastic for me). What I like is the versatility, you will never be undergunned with a 338 if the situation changes.

Here's a good thread by member beartooth:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...sic?highlight=

.338 lapua mag........................Best round ever made. JMO the ultimate long range KO round!

Mathematically, the .338 puts out about 33% more energy than the .30-06. Also, the heavier bullet has more momentum than a smaller one. So, for every inch of animal you are shooting through, the smaller bullet loses a LOT more energy than the heavier bullet. I hear more one shot/one kill stories with the 338 than with the .30-06. 338 will also shoot better at long range because the heavier bullets resist wind and irregularity more (you have to adjust for drop correctly though). any caliber bigger than .30 is a good nightlight/security blanket. You know that you've got that much more gun if you need to drop a brownie in a hurry.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Every Animal I have put on my table here in Alaska was with my .338 win mag (minus small game of course). I love the cartridge and have a hard time taking any of my other guns out. The farthest I have ever had to track an animal is about 40 yards everything else we are talking 5 ft

My dad shoots a 338 and almost every animal he shot died in it's tracks.The very few that didn't ,well they fell over less than fifty yards.But the old man is a good shot.I have personally killed a goat with his gun and his only move after that was rolling to me downhill. No disrespect on the ol' 338 win,but y'all need to quit bashing the '06 It won a world war,and am certain it has put down every big game animal on this continent Plus a few others!

Quote Originally Posted by Kotton View Post
    My dad shoots a 338 and almost every animal he shot died in it's tracks.The very few that didn't ,well they fell over less than fifty yards.But the old man is a good shot.I have personally killed a goat with his gun and his only move after that was rolling to me downhill. No disrespect on the ol' 338 win,but y'all need to quit bashing the '06 It won a world war,and am certain it has put down every big game animal on this continent Plus a few others!
    Only time I have pulled the trigger on a 338 was at a distant goat. The results were just as you describe. Now I want one of my own.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Now I want one of my own.
    Whatcha waitin' for?

Quote Originally Posted by Finley View Post
    It will kill just fine. I prefer the non-magnums these days. I haven't seen a bit of difference in the how fast they die either. I have learned its more about the rifle and bullet selection than the case. Not a thing wrong with the .338 mag though.....
    I have seen it with my own eyes when using my rifle (.338WM), and this moose season when watching two moose being shot by two hunters. The .30-06 is about perfect, but for quartering or bone-breaking shots to anchor a moose, calibers from the .300WM to the .375 H&H do a much better job. The .338 with a 225 or 250-grain TSX is quite impressive, and falls somewhere in the middle.

I've been shooting a .338WM (Browning A-bolt) for about five years now. Its ballistics are great, and it thumps the snot out of everything I've shot at. My gun likes the 210gr Nosler Partitions. Awesome weapon!

RW

iv killed 2 elk and two deer with my .338 Wm, great results, i would recomend 225 grain or heavier bullets for elk sized or bigger game.

Elk, moose, caribou, black bear and sheep have all fallen to my 338. I've used 200 grain ballistic tips for sheep (not recommended on anything that size under 100 yards or so), 210 grain Partitions, 225 grain Hornady Spire Points (VERY accurate) and 250 grain Grand Slams. You can normally get accceptable accuracy (1 MOA or less for my preference) from any bullet you load in this round with a little tinkering. The 338 is a very good round for everything in Alaska and anything big in the West though I haven't had a chance to put one in a brownie with it. Everything I have shot with it has gone down quickly and with relative authority.

I have the Ruger MK II with the paddle stock and am more than accustomed to the recoil though many say the cartridge and that rifle specifically produce unacceptable recoil. That will be for each shooter to decide for him/herself. I am currently playing with a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 338 WM. I haven't been able to dedicate the time to work up a preferred handload yet but prelilminary shooting sessions show promise.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast