Thread: bear heavy weights

Question bear heavy weights

We have a little discussion on another forum about bear weights. I'm curious what some of you ridge runners think about it...say sq ft to body weight ratios for blacks, browns and polars. It's amazing what weights some are coming up with. Brwnbr's been in on this discussion...very knowlegable as I'm sure a lot of you folks are.

figured that was the same maydog..but you never know. i tell ya i'm getting a scale this spring and takin' it with me. guessing a bears weight is about like guessing how much my truck weights, i dont' weight stuff up in the hundreds so i have no way of knowing how accurate i am.
    wheres that bio from glennallen that started coming in here? maybe she could help...helloooo?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default bear weights....

25 years ago, I worked for a feed store off Fideler Rd outside of Fairbanks....A cinnamon black bear was interrupted stealing Iams Eukannuba dog food off a pallet behind the building while several of us were unloading a 40' van in front. He ran off into the woods...I called my wife and asked her to bring my 30/06 to the store and waited for the pilferer to make a second visit....5 or 6 hours later he returned to the same dogfood he'd been enjoying...I spotted him from the rear loading dock and, w/o stepping outside, shot him...he ran into the woods...After about 10 minutes, I followed ...spotted him slightly off the trail behind some bushes...quickly put another round into the center of mass, but he was already in the next life....with some assistance from customers we carried him out into the yard, put him on a pallet and carried him w/ a forklift to a grain scale (state certified) and weighed him....

He weighed 289#.... a 6' bear...8 years old (re: fish and game)...boar...heart shot, he'd run approx. 75 yards before piling up.

That was the best skinning job I was ever able to do - meat hooks thru the rear hocks - hung from the forks - no bending over - just raise him up some more....an industrial bear.

Default Craigheads

Didn't the Craighead (?) brothers do a lot of bear research/tagging/weighing a long while ago? Was that in Idaho? Wyoming? You might want to search for them; from what I recall they did that for years. Sorry I don't remember more. j

ya i saw all the craighead stuff, might been montana i think.
    289lbs dang, see i wouldn't have thought a six footer weighed that much. i gotta get a scale and just get an idea how far off i am. be neat to know.
    Master guide 212

Default bear weights....BRWNBR....

The Craighead studies were done in Yellowstone....National Geographic did one of their specials about them. It would be interesting to see that program again.

While working at fore mentioned feed store, in 1982, one of the Craighead sons - Derek - just a kid when the Nat. geographic filmed his dad and uncle doing their Yellowstone grizzly study - came into the store to buy supplies for his summer research trip to NW Ak...studying walrus for USFish&Wildlife...already had his PHD - and another neat critter to study.

How do you envision weighing a bear w/o a forklift and a serious scale?

well black bears me and the client could lift up on the scale, brownies i'll have to skin and cut in quarters or something, do it on a tarp so i can weight guts and blood i suppose. be a mess but worth it in the long run. i'll just have a spring scale, tie the bears below it and lift the scale up. worth a shot.
    Master guide 212

Default virginia black bear

My father just shot a black bear in Tyro Va. while it was running from bear dogs. He shot it twice and killed it with a .35 whelen using 250 grain remington factory ammo. The bear was 403 lbs. 6 1/2 ft.

Default bear weights estimated

as a young man i used hounds to hunt black bears in oregon and washington states,mostly on spring damage control hunts for the timber companies, we used to calculate a bears weight by the size of his front paw, measure the width of the front paw and add 50 lbs per inch.not scientific nor totally accurate everytime.but works as a rough guide to estimate the weight of the bear.

Talking ol timer

I roughly use that method myself on blacks...don't know how'd it work on griz or polar, but comparing it to known sizes and weights of other bears, it seems to be consistant. It seems to be about 50-75 lbs per square foot on blacks depending on spring or fall, and 100-125 per sq ft on griz. The polar seems to be the unknown, but I feel they are overestimated in weight by most. Because of our "meat salvage" law on blacks, I do see several weighed by meat processors so one can have a fair idea after factoring in blood loss and entrail weight.

Default bear weight

My cousin owns an apple orchard in Tyro. So they just put them on the scales that they use for loading 18 wheelers and do all their knife work while the bear is hanging from a block and tackle.

Default Bear Weights

Craighead study were done when bears in Yellowstone were eating garbage,
    after they discontinued that practice, weights dropped dramatically.
    That is my recollection.