Thread: Rescued a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Rescued a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon

It's a long story but basically Mr. Jack Barkley was picked up by Houston shelter running on the Parks Hwy. He was there for about 2 weeks in the sparse conditions that they can provide. Basically barking alone on the end of a chain of somehow walled into a kennel that was too short to keep him in. I got a call from a volunteer worker there, the Frontiersman was contacted based on the prior dog slaughter that happened last winter. The dog got his picture in the paper and he was adopted buy someone a few days later. Last Friday he ended up at the MatSu shelter. Enough was enough, I'd recently seen WPGs and other versatile dogs work at the NAVHDA tests and with help did an article on it for Alaska Dog News. I thought this dog was possibly a pure bred pointer of some kind. After finally getting more info from Houston the previous owners said he was a WPG, they'd given him to someone who let him run. No one wanted him, he is terrible.
    On Saturday morning I went from, "I need to call someone" to "maybe I can get Dog & Puppy to sponsor him" to "Maybe I can foster him". After I talked to the volunteer at Houston who told me he was most likely a pure bred that was the final straw. I headed for the shelter at 11.
    My heart was pounding as I went over there and the idea of having one of these dogs was exciting and scary. What if he is a dud? What if he is horrible? I'd only seen him barking wildly and in constant motion. But he is just over a year so there is hope.
    The shelter was short staffed due to an adoption fair going on elsewhere. The staff at the desk said a couple had just been in to see him and may come back with their other dog to meet him but maybe not that day. I flipped my check book out. He'd just been neutered, chipped and shots so he was just over $50. It took so long with other people coming in with a bad dog that had to be put down, a lost dog to be scanned, the phone ringing.
    I went back to his kennel, I could not see through the poo this frantic dog had smeared all over the window, 5ft high. A volunteer got him out of the kennel, I put my leash and collar on him. He smelled badly and was covered in his nervousness. The longer I waited the more doubts crept in but finally, after about an hour, I signed the papers and at 1pm the dog and I headed for a doggy self wash.
    Today this horrible, un-trainable dog is sleeping at my feet after recovering from a fit full night on Saturday. Over the last two days he's learned not to harass the other dogs and the cat the hard way. Retrieved a couple dozen bumpers and hunted up some planted bird wings, duck, pigeon and spruce hen. He's not particular. He has no real obedience training and seems younger than was estimated, more like 11-13 mos.

This is really a new chapter in dog training. A member of NAVHDA promised to stop by next week on his way to Pt Mac Game Farm. This should be funů

Great beginning to the story . . . interested to see where it goes. Good luck.

Regards.

You're a good person Ms. Linda! I wish you and that pup all the luck in the world. Sounds like a pretty nice guy who just needs some training and direction.

Thanks for taking him in! Keep us posted.

Jim

Great stuff!

We have and breed Griffs. They are fabulous dogs!
    If you have any specific questions drop me a PM.

Frank
    Proud to be an American!

Good luck to you Linda. I bet he's an angel once you get him worn out...like most of the versatile breeds. The poor guy probably has more energy than he knows or his previous owners knew what to do with. When I picked up my vizsla a year and a half ago, the breeder said, "a tired vizsla is a good vizsla". I've since heard it applied to a lot of breeds, but it's probably the best advice I received in regards to a gun dog and their behavior.

Tyler

I am finding that a tired border collie definitely fits your description, tmckee. I'm working on turning Hartford, my wife's 13 month male Border Collie, into my bird hunting companion. It is a ton of work, as this breed is prone to some peculiar behaviors, but I'm finding that a 5 (or 15) mile run behind the bicycle is good preparation for his lessons.

Linda- wishing you the best with your new compadre. Nothing like a good challenge to bring out the best in us. Hope to hear more on how this relationship develops.

andweav,
    A bird doggin' herder! That sounds perfect, if you can teach Hartford to herd those ptarmigan off the steep slopes I'll go huntin' with you any time.

Tyler

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

I can see I have a new physical trainer. Jack's enthusiasm for retrieving is just ramping up the more we do. He got a professional groomer once over to clean up his coat and I learned to strip it. Jack, the groomer and I were whipped after an hour of working wiggly 50lb pup with a coat that had never seen a brush never mind stipping. We now think he is just barely a year old. He is learning fast. Unlike some rescues I've had he takes to going to new places and new things right away. The others (sight hound mixes) were very introverted for some time. Jack is a party boy up for anything. I really think his escaping and running history was due to being left alone. Im pretty sure that he would stay with me off a line but for now, until we get the recall with a collar, a few weeks of conditioning, he's on a long line. For the first time Lucy 8 yr old Lab has a pal with her size, puppy mentallity - constantly mouthing each other and wrestling until I break it up. Like NOW>>>"Stop it!"
    I don't know how to encourage pointing though. Any ideas?- Thanks Linda

Nice job Linda,
    I adopted Ember last winter and she is a WPG as well. Boundless energy, curious george and happy ! She too learns fast.
    Good luck and enjoy
    The next few weeks are pretty busy but I would be happy to meet you and Jack to help get started training for hunting.

Thanks Burke, were working on obedience with a few fun bumpers for the next week or two so I can get some control anyway.

well done, good job,remember Rome was not built in a day and he will always be a two year old. remember the joke lock your spoce and the dog in the trunk of the car and come back in two hours and GUESS who will be thrilled to see you and not ask why you did it.

Good for you.. Smart and very loving, dogs eager to please, and awesome hunters..
    Pointing should come natural to him.
    I know there is some very experienced dog handlers on this site, and I'm not trying to take anything away from them by posting this link,
    But there also is a wealth of information on this site as well, some really nice people as well as some very accomplished bird hunters..
    http://www.uplandidaho.com/discussion/default.asp

Just noticed this thread was started in Sept. Hows things working out for you?

Ms. Linda,

The simple answer to your question about how to bring out the point in a pointing dog is BIRDS! Hopefully you've had a chance to meet up with Burke, or someone else down in your area to get you started in the right direction. Let us know how all this goes. I took a couple of fellows from Kenai out for some sharptails this past fall, and one of them hunted a Griff. Cute and loveable rascals, that's for sure! Tough on them in the warmer months, but I'll bet chasing ptarmigan in the snow would be a hoot!

Here are a couple of snaps.

Jim