Thread: Pack Raft Trips

Default Pack Raft Trips

I just bought a new Pack raft and am wondering if anyone has any ideas for me for trips? I am an experienced kayaker but have wanted to get a pack raft for awhile. Any ideas or advice would be awesome. Thanks!

What area of the state are you in?

I am in South Central.

Check out the packraft forums at:

http://packrafting.org/forums/

Tons of information on gear, trips, etc... all over the world with a huge amount of info on AK trips (cause this is where they started)

2 good starter trips:
    Winner creek to upper 20 mile float to highway - great day trip
    Carlo creek / nenana -fantastic overnight with very little bushwacking (check out the "coffee and pizza" float on the forum)

Enjoy!
    Chris

Another great day trip or overnighter is Crow Pass from Girdwood to Eagle River. Hike the first 12 miles of the Crow Pass trail to where the trail meets Eagle River. Once there, inflate your raft and float down to Echo Bend. Pull out at Echo Bend and hike the last three miles to the Eagle River Nature Center. (Below Echo Bend are class IV-V rapids that are beyond most packrafters' abilities.)

Default Echo Bend

Echo Bend is a section under two miles in length that has a series of class III- to IV rapids, not class V, even at high water. This section is well within the capabilities of many pack rafters when the guage is at 4 feet and under.
    There are sharp rocks and some potential dangers but it is doable, and watch for wood.
    If you look in the kayaking section I have some pictures posted of the biggest drops.
    Have fun,
    MO

Thanks for the clarification, Mark. I thought I had heard V, but I don't have personal experience with it, so I appreciate the correction.

Default ratings

Brian you may be referring to Roman's pack rafting rating system, in which he tried to incorporate his own rating system which was designed around the pack raft. You will notice the ratings will be about a grade higher than the International whitewater association would rate them.
    There is a problem with this, if all boats had their own system it would be extremely confusing. Class II is just that, class II and on and on. I do know Roman and have boated with him, and have noticed he is using international ratings when describing runs more than in the past, perhaps he has rethought it, I will be sure to ask though.
    Embick had it IV+ at high water Tim rated it III-IV.
    BTW guys, watch for bears up there, I had a thirty yard eye to eye with a big grizzly