Thread: Wood Gasification Boiler

Default Wood Gasification Boiler

Does anyone have any experience with these? Like a Greenwood or Seton? I am looking to install one next spring and am looking for the pros/cons... I am more than willing to go out and cut wood, but if I am going to smoke out the neighbors or if it doesn't have the output necessary to heat the house, that would be good to know. Thanks.

Gasification boilers will not smoke out the neighbors because they reburn the exhaust smoke. The exhaust from them is no more than an oil fired boiler.

The biggest con is the fact that you must used very dry and seasoned wood. Unless you cut your own and have a three year head start I doubt you have dry enough wood. It's nearly impossible to purchased firewood anymore that is properly seasoned.

For me, the only viable solution for a wood gasification boiler that would fit my lifestyle would be the Garn system or build your own system that has massive hot water storage. I only have time to feed a boiler twice a day and the only system that meets my demands is a Garn. I have time to load it in the morning and once at night...that's it...otherwise I'm at work or playing.

I heat my business (nearly 10,000 sqft) with an outdoor boiler. It will burn darn near anything you throw into it. Because of the way we regulate it's burn cycles with a programable thermostat, most of the burn time is during the day and it's burning HARD all day. The only way to get an outdoor boiler to burn somewhat efficiently and not smoke as much is to run it hard. To run it hard means filling it all the time. Since I have myself, my kids, and employees to fill it throughout the day it's no big deal to run it full out. I have infloor heat and inventory to store heat overnight and I allow the thermostat to basically shut the system off at night. We let the temp fall to 62F at night and rarely does the boiler need to fire to maintain that temp. The next day we run it hard again to get our indoor temp up again.

I am constantly stunned to hear how much wood most residential outdoor boiler systems are using. I use 30 cords to heat about 154,000 cubic feet. I know guys that are using 15 cords or more just to heat 16,000 cubic feet of house (8' ceiling 2000 sqft house). Their systems smoke like crazy because they are cycling on and off all day. After owning an outdoor boiler for my business there would be no way I'd use one on a residence unless I owned a lot of land. Unless you live at home and have heat storage capability at night it's really tough to get the outdoor boiler systems to work well.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Fairbanks, Alaska

I have a Tarm Solo 40 gasification boiler and really like it. I heat about 2100 sqf. with about 8 to 9 cords of dry spruce. I have yet to install a heat storage system which will cut my wood use a little. I usually fire it up in October and run it until March or April. I have had this for about three seasons now.

i was looking at a way to power a small engine set up to recharge the batties system along with wind and solar set up as part of a triangle system for way to keep the cabin batties system charge up and along with a way to keep the some basic electrical system that i been wanting in the cabin ..

here is the system i was looking at for the small cabin unit made by victory gasification company design for a small off grid cabin along with a small 6 or 8 cylinders engine system to make power to charge the system ..

the unit runs of wood chips or logs that ben cut down to size and other things that you can feed into the system for makeing wood gas to power the system ..
    Attached Images Attached Images