Thread: Sydney strikes again!

Default Sydney strikes again!

My 11 year old daughter shot a cow caribou this weekend. We were very excited and extra glad that it was a beautiful sunny day. (She put in many rough days last year before she filled her 2 tags.)
    The part that almost ruined our day, and hunt was an unethical hunter. Actually it was WAY beyond unethical, all I can figure is that he was either almost ready to starve to death and needed a caribou RIGHT THAT SECOND, or he has more greed in his body than any of us can imagine.

We spotted 4 caribou above us on the hill so we started making our stalk which started off by walking down the road about 100 yds to get behind a ridge that we would use for cover to complete our stalk. This guy is driving up the road and sees us walking down it so he slams on his breaks and looks up the hill and sees the caribou. He yanks his truck off the side of the road which in turn spooks the caribou back up the hill. My daughter and I continue up the hill to try and find the caribou that have gone over a little ridge. The guy, clearly seeing us AGAIN, gets out and starts cruising up the hill. Luckily the caribou had spooked our way and we got to the top of the hill and they were 80 yds away. I got the tripod set up and she was getting ready to shoot when this guy who was at least 250 yds from us takes a shot. I couldn't believe it. The caribou run again and we used the ridge to hide ourselves as we tried to get on them again. We get in position again, and he shoots again at way more than 300 yds this time.

Finally we did get a shot, and my daughter made an awesome shot. The other caribou stayed there, and the guy, who was joined by 2 other people now, stayed about 200 yds off and didn't shoot any more. I was waiting for them to come to where we were where they would have a clear shot, but they never did. I don't know how many total times he shot as I was focusing on getting my daughter into range. I was going to talk to him about what he had done but I never got the chance. It was unbelievable! It was clear that I was with a child. It would have been bad enough if it was just me. I don't understand how people's brains work sometimes. At least WE had a happy ending.

P9110035.jpgP9110034.jpg
    Last edited by hunt_ak; 09-13-2010 at 14:39. Reason: Wall-Of-Text....

Please help me. As a mother I would have been gone after the first time they shoot a animal I was going after with one of my children am I wrong? Happy noone was hurt.
    Connie

Nice job Goaty! Congrats to your daughter also!!!
    Perhaps he was not hunting but trying to scare the bou away from you? Anti hunter perhaps?
    Either way a total idiot for sure.... Glad you scored a nice animal....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Connie, the direction of his shot was not directly endangering us, so we continued. If I would have felt endangered, we would have aborted. Good question.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

congrats on getting her on it through all that... good Job!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Nice bou, I'm glad you were able to pull it off. Leave those guys by the road dissappointed. One question, Is that a bullet hole in the hind quarter? Or an open sore or something? Just curious what I'm seeing.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Sounds like a pretty bad situation. However, fortunately everyone is safe. Not certain any caribou would be worth the inherent risk of several people shooting at the same time from different positions, especially with absolutely "zero" coordination. The "competition" factor could only compound the risk to everyone involved.
    Not a "mother", though on this one we would be following "Connie64".
    Just not worth it.
    Joe (Ak)

(Note: Too bad an investigation into to the possibility of "reckless endangerment" isn't an option - maybe it is.)

AKBOATER, it is another bullet hole. She hit it in the front shoulder with her 1st shot, it went down but got back up, so I told her to shoot it again, she actually missed once or twice more, then shot it in the hind quarter. I think her nerves were getting to her.

Thanks, didn't want to critisize, but was curious. My first couple of caribou had some extra holes in them too. Like I said before, good job making the most of the situation.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Congrats to Sydney! My neice, Sydney, just turned 12 this August and drew the Delta youth moose hunt. We'll be headed out there on Friday to try and get her her first critter. She'll be using my .243 and has been shooting it very well, but we'll be keeping the shot to 100 yards or less. I'll make sure she sees this post as I know it will really get her excited.

What rifle was she shooting?

Well done Sydney(and dad)!
    Afflicted by condition human

Jerod, she was also shooting a .243 in Weatherby Vanguard. My 2 older kids started with this gun. It is a great caliber. Nearly no kick at all, so no flinching. My son has killed 2 moose with it and 2 caribou and she has killed 3 caribou with it.