Thread: 270

Default 270

Im doing a Montana elk hunt this year and want to get some advice on a good 270 bullet to use any advice?
    Thanks

I grew up in MT hunting elk with a .270. I used 160 gr Nosler partions (reloads) and had plenty of succes with them. My gun loved 'em and shot them well. Good Luck on yout hunt!

What part of MT?

I second the 160 gr partitions. I've laid out whitetails, mulies, caribou and my dall ram with the same bullet. Excellent bullet. My 2nd choice would be the 150 gr Barnex TSX.....

Brian

130gr Barnes TSX is what I would use. I have been using the 140gr TSX out of my 7-08AI for the last 4 or 5 years and the results have been excellent. I have yet to recover a bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by ramzrool View Post
    I grew up in MT hunting elk with a .270. I used 160 gr Nosler partions (reloads) and had plenty of succes with them. My gun loved 'em and shot them well. Good Luck on yout hunt!

What part of MT?
    Nosler Partitions are the only way to go in my book!

I've been using 140 gr. Accubonds for the last couple years. I've been very happy with them. Killed a moose last year and a caribou this year. Of course, I have no idea if the bullets performed adequately or not since I didn't recover them.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Speer Grand Slam 150 gr Reloads is what I used. I packed away my reload book last week or I could tell you more.

Nosler partion or swift bullets with partion have worked great for me. I think the heavier the better for Montana Elk. I once shot a bull with a 130 gr 270 bullet and it went way to far on its feet. I think the heavier the better.

160 in a .270? That makes my head hurt thinking about it. Is that loaded ammo with the Nosler 160 or roll your own? I may wanna try it here for elk.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

What is the opinion regarding .270 cal Hornady 150 grain spitzer Interlock bullets ? Are they up to being used on moose?

Thank you

WALK-IN,
    Bullets must have done pretty well- you harvested your animal.
    I hear & read so much about the "best caliber", "best bullet weight", &"best bullet type". What others use is just basic information- the 'good to know' stuff. I feel that the best 'whatever' is the one that has worked for you. Around my neck of the woods, they (the Know It Alls) say the 30-30 is not a good hunting caliber- "velocity is too slow". Tell that to the scores of deer, hogs, & goats my sons and I have harvested with my Glenfield 30A. I think they would beg to differ!!!
    Good Luck! Aim Straight!

Quote Originally Posted by Bukshot View Post
    What is the opinion regarding .270 cal Hornady 150 grain spitzer Interlock bullets ? Are they up to being used on moose?

Thank you
    Haven't used it, but the longest string of one shot kills on moose I know of is the Hornady 154 grain .284 launched from a 7x57 at 2500 fps. I've done all his reloading for him for 30 years, and he's up to 22 moose with that load. Only gun he owns, and he's both a great hunter and good shot. Cool head and willing to pass up shots, and far as I know he's never shot one past about 100 yards.

Read what you want into that, but I'm betting you'll be just fine if you do your part. Hard to blame it on the gun or load if you don't.

As for the 270, the first three moose I killed were with that round using a Nosler 150 partition at 2800. Longest was maybe 150 yards and closest was about 20 feet. Dead, dead, dead, all with one shot.

Sorry geoff156- I lost track of your original question. I've killed exactly two elk with that same 270/150 partition/2800fps loading, but they were both Roosevelts. Bigger bodies than Rockies, but dead is dead with one bullet in the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip-CO View Post
    160 in a .270? That makes my head hurt thinking about it. Is that loaded ammo with the Nosler 160 or roll your own? I may wanna try it here for elk.
    I've been rolling my own with the 160's since the 90's. Great combo. I shoot the .270 Wby Mag and it puts the hammer down on whatever it hits....

Quote Originally Posted by USMC RET View Post
    I've been rolling my own with the 160's since the 90's. Great combo. I shoot the .270 Wby Mag and it puts the hammer down on whatever it hits....
    I tried finding loaded ammo with 160's for my .270 Win with no luck. Did find some Nosler Partition 150's loaded but no 160's. Odd.
    svenska50@hotmail.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER

[QUOTE=BrownBear;804245]Haven't used it, but the longest string of one shot kills on moose I know of is the Hornady 154 grain .284 launched from a 7x57 at 2500 fps. I've done all his reloading for him for 30 years, and he's up to 22 moose with that load. Only gun he owns, and he's both a great hunter and good shot. Cool head and willing to pass up shots, and far as I know he's never shot one past about 100 yards.

Hmm, have not seen anybody mention the 154's for a looooong time! That was one of my favorites in a Ruger77R - 280 I own. Put some elk down with it - good solid performer for me. All one shot kills, I also used the 139gn Partition in the 280 with success - 3 for 3 on nice bulls ( elk ) . I put a couple follow up shots in the elk with the 139's but wouldn't have had to. Never shot anything over the 154's for weight in the 280... Lots of coyotes lay dead from that 139 for sure, muley deer, whitetails too!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....