Thread: This Old Boat - - Zodiac Keel replacement ?

Unhappy This Old Boat - - Zodiac Keel replacement ?

Have a 1986 GR MKIII that I overpressured the keel on yesterday...it is leaking at the seam. Darn shame as the keel was almost brand new.... I will try to seal it tonight with tape, or maybe patch - not sure yet. But I want to buy a new one...plan to check with ARK and ARC at lunch today to see if they have one in stock - would like to have it in hand by Thursday if possible....going moose hunting Sat on the high evening tide if weather holds.

Anyone have other sources for new keel purchase on this old boat.

If its hypalon I'd think you could reglue it with the right kind of glue.

Alaska raft and kayak could probably tell you what can be done, if anything.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

Although the keel was an OE replacement purchased from MSS via Zodiac it is some kind of plastic instead of rubber. I have left it with ARC and am sure that Brian will do a great job on repair. There is a minium 2 week wait on getting one here in town so I am really banking on the repair working for me...not only that but the cost is pretty high on a new one (which I will have to absorb this winter so that I have one on hand should it be needed).

Well - not so lucky. Sounds like it is not repairable - at least not at any kind of reasonable expense for a non-100percent fix. Trying to find a new one now.....

Bummer, you could always do a temporary inflate with foam-in-a-can to get you through this weekend, then replace it when the new one comes in.

(shrug) nothing to lose trying
    "Dominion"

Well - I went over to ARC and bought a couple cans of magic juice from Brian. I was skeptical while Brian was optimistic. I got home and mixed the 2 pints up and poured it into the keel. Capped it and massaged it into the material for about 15-20 minutes. Then we blew it up with the air compressor and rocked it back and forth until the liquid sealant was spewing out of all of the holes. Within about 1/2 hour it had pretty much stopped. I kept rocking it and adjusting it so that the liquid would settle to the worst spots of the seam.

It held air all night and a pretty solid amount. There are no leaks now. It takes 3 days to dry.

I should know by Friday how it works out but it looks like a success. The sealant that he sold me is some pretty good stuff for sure.

Was that the inland marine sealant stuff? I was looking at that for an old dinghy that was leaking.
    "Dominion"

I will have to get the name off of the cans. It was float tube sealant "tuff" something or other.

It is a two part mix - Part A is a thick hazy clear liquid and Part B is the thinner and is slightly green in color.

Call Brian at ARC 907-250-2271. The two pints he said was enough to do a whole tube of a boat (assume 15' zodiac). I checked the keel at lunch time and it is still plumb full of air.

Hopefully it will hold under operating conditions.

Remember - it isn't cheap, but it is cheaper than not going moose hunting!
    Last edited by Bullelkklr; 09-15-2010 at 16:40. Reason: spelling error

You could try Aquaseal, I have used it on the inflatable floor in my tender; got the tip for Jim King who owns Alaska Series inflatable; Amazing stuff.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.