Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is your moose gutpile considered a bait station?

Default Is your moose gutpile considered a bait station?

While gutting a moose last week a friend mentioned he would like to sit in a tree and watch the kill area for the purpose of taking a brownie.

Our group was actually divided on if that was considered legal or not. The debate was that you are not intentionally laying bait for the bear. It is merely the remains from a moose harvest. (guts minus heart and liver - hide and head)

Others said it was considered bait if you knew a bear would most likely come to the area.

(site markings did confirm a bear visit within 8 hours after the kill)

Tried to do a search for past threads but came up empty handed although i'm pretty sure this has been hashed out before. Anyone have a link?

You can kill any predator in season, off a gut pile, yours or one you come across. As long as you don't move/relocate the remains as to create a bait site. Kill the Bear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    You can kill any predator in season, off a gut pile, yours or one you come across. As long as you don't move/relocate the remains as to create a bait site. Kill the Bear.
    What he said ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    While gutting a moose last week a friend mentioned he would like to sit in a tree and watch the kill area for the purpose of taking a brownie.

Our group was actually divided on if that was considered legal or not. The debate was that you are not intentionally laying bait for the bear. It is merely the remains from a moose harvest. (guts minus heart and liver - hide and head)

Others said it was considered bait if you knew a bear would most likely come to the area.

(site markings did confirm a bear visit within 8 hours after the kill)

Tried to do a search for past threads but came up empty handed although i'm pretty sure this has been hashed out before. Anyone have a link?
    It is legal to hunt the gut pile, as long as it is not moved. Can be found on page 26 of the regs under bait definion.

Cut and Paste from regs.

Bait - any material, excluding scent lures, placed to attract an animal by its sense of smell or taste; bait does not include those parts of legally taken animals that are not required to be salvaged as edible meat if the parts are not moved from the kill site.

Steve

Thanks for that! Still have guys in camp. One of them really wants to spend a long, cold night in a tree.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Thanks for that! Still have guys in camp. One of them really wants to spend a long, cold night in a tree.
    Tell him to go for it and wish him the best of luck!

Dennis Lattery, a local resident, writes about taking a brown bear with a recurve over a gut pile at Fog Lake in his book, Hunts and Home Fires. Pretty good read.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

ADF&G considers gutpiles to be natural food sources just like a berry patch, since they are a natural by-product of legal hunting.

Git' a ba'r
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have one more for you guy's...A buddy of mine killed a sheep and he could not pack out the hole sheep that night, just took half of the ram. the next morning he went back up to kill site to find a large grizzly camped on the other half of his sheep along with the horns and cape!......He had a grizzly tag but opted not to shoot the grizzly because edible meat was maybe at the site.

He returned the next morning and found no grizzly, no meat and no cape, but got his horns back!

What's the law on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    I have one more for you guy's...A buddy of mine killed a sheep and he could not pack out the hole sheep that night, just took half of the ram. the next morning he went back up to kill site to find a large grizzly camped on the other half of his sheep along with the horns and cape!......He had a grizzly tag but opted not to shoot the grizzly because edible meat was maybe at the site.

He returned the next morning and found no grizzly, no meat and no cape, but got his horns back!

What the law on this?
    I believe the bear was fair game...shoot to kill, then recover the rest of the sheep meat...as well as the bear hide and skull
    Last edited by Frostbitten; 09-13-2010 at 15:02. Reason: incomplete

If he killed the bear that was eating a game animal he shot, it could be considered a DLP situation. The sheep was his property and if the bear didn't scare away, it would have been legal and necessary to shoot the bear to protect his "property". I hope that made sense.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    If he killed the bear that was eating a game animal he shot, it could be considered a DLP situation. The sheep was his property and if the bear didn't scare away, it would have been legal and necessary to shoot the bear to protect his "property". I hope that made sense.

From the Fish and Game website

Killing a Bear in Defense of Life or Property (DLP)

Under Alaska State Regulations, “you may kill game animals in defense of your life or property if you did not provoke an attack or cause a problem by negligently leaving human food, animal food or garbage in a manner that attracts wildlife and if you have done everything else you can to protect your life and property. . . . The meat of a game animal you have legally taken becomes your property, but you may not kill another wild animal such as a bear to protect the meat unless the meat is necessary for your livelihood or survival” (emphasis added). This is a very strict standard, and one that is typically not the case for recreational hunters. This means that, if you get meat back to camp and a bear takes the meat while in camp, you may be cited if you kill the bear raiding your meat cache and try to claim it as a DLP killing. Be sure you read and understand the section of the hunting regulations book called “Emergency Taking of Game.” Although it is against regulations to kill a bear in order to save your meat, you can still kill a bear during a hunt for another species -- if you have a hunting license and appropriate permits but did not bait it in.

Steve

Are you sure?...it's always been my understanding that you could not shoot a bear in a DLP over a game animal in the field!...but I've been wrong many times before!

I stand corrected.

Are you sure?...it's always been my understanding that you could not shoot a bear in a DLP over a game animal in the field!...but I've been wrong many times before!
    You CAN NOT DLP a bear to protect game meat unless you are in a survial situation.

Steve

What's the law on this?
    Just curious. What does "...because edible meat was maybe at the site..." have to do with the decision not to shoot the grizzly since he did have a grizzly tag? Already had the sheep head caped?
    Would also be interesting to know which half of the sheep was salvaged.
    Joe (Ak)

If you spot a bear coming towards your kill site while you are still skinning/butchering the sheep, and subsequently kill the bear, it's a legal kill.

Had the individual gotten back to the kill site, found the site tore up by the bear, the bear was 100 yards off, and harvested the bear, it's a legal kill. (again, he would still be required to retrieve all remaining sheep meat as well as bear hide and skull)

I don't know what "camped on the other half of the ram" actually means (literally laying on it, only a few yards away?) but had this been me, I would have taken the bear.

If I was in this person's situation of not wanting to shoot the bear, I would have fired a warning shot, to try and drive the bear away. I doubt the whole story was relayed but the way it was written it sounds like he just saw the bear and left. There definitely needs to be some effort made to recover the sheep.

That was his story why he opted not to shoot!...I was not there!.....this was a few years ago but I believe that he moved the meat and head & cape (still together) up the hill a little ways from the gut pile/kill site, but of coarse the bear found what he left on the mountain! He hurt his knee and didn't think he could get off the mountain with all the sheep meat, horns and cape!
    He’s still cries about not bust’in that bear, he claims it was a HOG!...and very pretty!
    **** it, Joe…your asking me to many questions….laffin’

That was his story why he opted not to shoot!...I was not there!.....this was a few years ago but I believe that he moved the meat and head & cape (still together) up the hill a little ways from the gut pile/kill site, but of coarse the bear found what he left on the mountain! He hurt his knee and didn't think he could get off the mountain with all the sheep meat, horns and cape!
    He’s still cries about not bust’in that bear, he claims it was a HOG!...and very pretty!
    **** it, Joe…your asking me to many questions….laffin’
    Ahhh - just curious!
    Joe (Ak)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast