Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .300 WSM performance in the field?

Default .300 WSM performance in the field?

The .300 WSM is a fairly new caliber that looks great on paper. does anybody have any stories about how they actually are performing in the field?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

They perform exactly the same as a 300 win mag. They may shoot a touch faster in some bullet weights but no animal will ever be able to tell the difference. Downfall is ammo costs more unless you roll your own. Some claim they don't feed as well but I have no problems and I prefer the shorter bolt throw of the WSM offerings. Long and short though, no difference in the field between venerable 300 win mag and the "new" (10 year old) short mag version.

Exactly what Lujon said. I've been hunting with my Tikka 300 wsm for 7 years now and it's performed very nicely. No feeding problems with mine. I reload my own cartridges.

I've been using my .300WSM for 3 years without issue.

180gr Nosler AB or PT at 2950fps or so has a very proven track record on all kinds of critters.

Been looking at these in the Tikka T3. Short bolt "suppossedly" saves on weight. Figure this will be my mountain gun (need a "reason" for another). Have only heard good things though.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I am pretty sure that the tikka only comes in a regular length action and they just limit bolt travel on the "short" cartridges. Great gun though! I have one in 270WSM and it feeds extremely smooth. Just don't lose the drop out mag!! They are apparently made out of crushed diamonds!!

A buddy of mine bought the T3 Lite Stainless. It shoots just as good as my Nosler (at a fraction of the cost).

I didn't like the look of the Tikka rings but apparently they're sufficient for the purpose. Hard to believe the magazine is something like 1/5 of the overall cost of the rifle ($85!!!) but the Sako magazines are along the same lines.

I'm shopping for a new predator rifle this fall and these are on the short list.

Toss the Tikka supplied rings straight in the trash and slap some Talley's on top the day you take it out of the box!

I have had hunters shoot Bears - sheep and worked just fine. dido on the Tikka rings..

Default ditto

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .300 WSM. Got mine in 2003, have shot black bear, caribou, and moose. Have Burris Balistiplex 3-9 X 40mm scope. Total weight is around 7 lbs. Have shot all brands and bullets types in the 180 grain version and does really well. Don't reload, and don't know the ballistics, fps, drop etc. I only know that I zero'd it at 200 yards and have killed everything I've shot at.

I do think your .300 Win Mag version will allow you to go to 200 or 220 grain bullets. .300 WSM your looking at maybe 150's but nothing bigger than 180 unless your reloading them and make 'em a little hot.

Hmmmm....I'm looking for a Mtn gun so I don't need (not that it hurts) the capabilites of shooting that 200gr out of the standard .300 Win Mag.

I have teh Tikka T3 in .223. Great gun. Super Accurate...and I agree, the clips must be made of crushed diamond!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I have enjoyed mine. 180 gr trophy bonded bear claws always come out like a mushroom. Savage rifle. It's my main gun for big game.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    A buddy of mine bought the T3 Lite Stainless. It shoots just as good as my Nosler (at a fraction of the cost).

I didn't like the look of the Tikka rings but apparently they're sufficient for the purpose. Hard to believe the magazine is something like 1/5 of the overall cost of the rifle ($85!!!) but the Sako magazines are along the same lines.

I'm shopping for a new predator rifle this fall and these are on the short list.
    Tikka is owned by Sako, that's why they are along the same lines.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I bought a Browning Mountain Ti. in the 300wsm for my mountain gun. Love it. This will be my go to gun for most things now. It is light and I thought it was going to have a punch on it. It was not bad at all, I think Browning puts a little better recoil pad on the Mountain Ti. than their other Abolts. The only animal I shot with it so far is a moose and it was a one shot one kill with a 180 accubond.

have one in a ruger compact and love it. My friend liked it so much he bought one. Ruger quit making it tho do to them trying to push the 300RCM. but that is my no. 1 gun now. Killed the grizz in my pic, one moose, 4 bou and 4 blackies

The .300 WSM looks to be a wonderful caliber and the data suggests it is a real winner in a short action bolt rifle. has anyone used 200 gr Sierra GKBT bullets in this caliber? I have used Sierra GKBT 200 gr bullets in my .300 Win Mag with great accuracy but have not taken it out to the field since it weighs a ton. Wondering about the use of larger bullets for the WSM. I dont have that cartridge but suspect the larger bullet is less desirable. Thoughts?

One of the recent gun rags had a feature on the WSM vs Mag catridges. They found that the WSM pushed lighter bullets faster but as you went up in bullet weight the curves crossed and the tried and true win mag came out on top. Looking at the results though there isn't an animal alive that would be able to tell you which casing held the powder that pushed the bullet between the 2.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    Tikka is owned by Sako, that's why they are along the same lines.
    Well.....almost..... Tikka AND Sako are owned by Beretta.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAPS View Post
    I have used Sierra GKBT 200 gr bullets in my .300 Win Mag ... Wondering about the use of larger bullets for the WSM. I dont have that cartridge but suspect the larger bullet is less desirable. Thoughts?
    I've thought about this quite a lot... I'm not convinced that bullets heavier than 180gr are really all that useful in a .30 cal anymore.

In the days prior to controlled expansion bullets the way to increase penetration was to add more bullet weight. I'm not so sure thats the case these days with so many great bullet designs available. There are lots of good 200gr bullets out there but I'm not sure they really serve a real purpose anymore for the general run of game at common ranges.

Of course if you want to shoot a Cape Bufffalo, Bison, or a Rhino with a .30 or attempt to knock off an elk at 700yds you're likely well outside the design criteria of most bullets.

Lot of folks getting total shoot throughs on bou, moose and bears with controlled expansion 180s.

I considered either the Tikka or the Sako when I was looking. I decided to spend a little cash and go with the upgraded Sako 85 Finnlight in 300 WSM. It weighs only 6 3/8 lbs and is a gorgeous rifle with fluted, stainless barrel and other great features not available in the Tikka. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Tikka and for the money it would be hard to beat. The only problem I've had with my Sako is it is fairly poor feeding ability with the short action. I have only had 1 shot kills with it so far so it really hasn't mattered! I've shot everything from pronghorn to dall sheep to elk size game with no problems. So far it's the best rifle I have ever owned and lives up to the Sako name. When I was doing my research I heard that the Browning action loaded the short-stubby 300 WSM shells a lot smoother but when I read up on the Sako Finnlight my mind was made up. It doesn't kick any worse than my 270 and has been a super flat shooter even with 180 grain factory ammo. I had a 300 Weatherby before the 300 WSM and can just about drive tacks with my Sako 300 WSM...I can't say the same for my 300 Weatherby!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast