Thread: Prince of Wales Halibut Fishing (late May / early June)

Default Prince of Wales Halibut Fishing (late May / early June)

So, I figured this question had been asked and answered a million times already, but, after searching and coming up empty, I decided to ask away and see if I could pick your brains a bit.

My family and I are heading back to POW against this May (late) and plan to spend most our time chasing bears (as always). However, we're planning a longer trip this time and though it might be fun to try and spend some of the nicer days chasing halibut or other bottom fish.

My question, then, is this: How far out do you have to venture to find decent bottom fish water?

We stay near the Hollis / 12 Mile / Polk area, and would likely go out from those respective launches. Honestly, we'd prefer to to say as close as possible while still maintaining a decent chance at nabbing a fish or two. This would be more of a relaxing outing than a fish-hunting one.

I've heard in the fall you can fish the estuaries with some luck because the halibut come in for the spawning salmon that dump out of the rivers. Does that mean they stay much further offshore in the spring?

I'm a complete rook at SE Alaska halibut (though I've fished them a ton in WA).

Any information you could share would be great.

thanks,
    RW

hey RW,

you might need to post this request (or bump it to the top) several times between now and next May to get the info you're asking. In my limited experience on here there may not be that many who fish that area and post on this forum.

I fish on POW every year and will be after Silvers, halibut and rockfish myself in about a week and a half. Mostly on the west side but have hiked miles up the Harris, too.

Here's two tidbits that may help. Other than that ...wait and see, do LOTS more web searching. Took me quite a bit to locate the same thing you're after but on the west side of the island.

Good luck in your quest!
    Steve

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17426.shtml
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ow_fishing.pdf

Other folks can be more specific, but you shouldn't have a problem finding a butt or two during that time period. It might be a little slower than July and August but there will be plenty of fish around. Sorry I can't really help you on specific spots but they will be there. And you probably won't have to run too far.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Not sure around the Hollis area, but around Coffman Cove you do no have to run far at all. You can be Halibut fishing in 10 minutes from the dock. As said earlier July and August is going to be better for fishing than May or June. You should be able to find some fish though in the time slot you have.

How deep of water are we talking? I'm used to fishing 300-500 feet, but I've heard there are much shallower opportunities off POW.

Also, it seems that most of the flats off POW are mud. I'm used to fishing sand. Do the halibut hang out on these mud flats?

Thanks for the help so far!

RW

You won't be fishing 300-500 ft that's for sure. In central and southern southeast you can find plenty of halibut in less than 200 ft. A lot of places I fish around Petersburg are less than 100 ft. Just looking at the chart it looks like the bottom in Kasaan Bay has a lot of promising humps and shelves. The biggest tip I can give you is look for a shelf or hump in the 150-200 ft range. that drops to 300+ ft off the shelf. Fish that on an incoming through high slack tide and you should have some action.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    You won't be fishing 300-500 ft that's for sure. In central and southern southeast you can find plenty of halibut in less than 200 ft. A lot of places I fish around Petersburg are less than 100 ft. Just looking at the chart it looks like the bottom in Kasaan Bay has a lot of promising humps and shelves. The biggest tip I can give you is look for a shelf or hump in the 150-200 ft range. that drops to 300+ ft off the shelf. Fish that on an incoming through high slack tide and you should have some action.
    Are you fishing the top, the slope, or the bottom?

RW

The front edge, where it levels off. I'll see if I can find a decent representation on the chart and show you where i would fish. Take my opinion for what it's worth, I have never fished Kasaan Bay. But I have fish halibut in southeast a lot.

Default Like this

chart.JPG

Let me know if that doesn't get any bigger, but I would fish on that shelf or something very similar. The halibut will move up from the deeper water on the incoming tide.