Thread: liver

Default liver

The family of a friend has a Bison ranch and my buddies dad gave me a fresh heart and liver from a bull yesterday. I soaked them in salty water for a few hours changing the water once, Then I let them dry for a couple of hours and cut them up and froze them. I love liver and onions but have never made it before my self. Does anyone have a good recipe?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

My favorite way is not the healtiest way, but organ meat is not something you eat every day so you might as well go down in flames so to speak. I cook up some bacon and put it off to the side. I then carmelize some sweet onions separately in other pan so not to alter the flavor of the bacon grease and keep them warm. I slice the liver about 3/8 to inch and lightly flower. I add a little pepper but no salt as the bacon grease is enough. Cook the liver in bacon grease about 1.5 minutes on each side and then slice it to check it. As soon as the pink is gone, remove from the heat, smother in onions and bacon. Sometimes I will make a brown "Hunters Gravy" from McComick. Yes, its from a package, but don't knock it till you try it and follow the instuctions starting with real butter. Some whipped red potatoes to go with it is my favorite.

Curious on why you soaked your liver in salt water?

Cool, I think I will have to try that one. I soaked the organs for a few hours in the salt water to try to draw as much of the blood out as possible.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i do that also, and a light salt brine prior to cooking is a great flavor in the meat too...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I always soak my liver in milk or buttermilk for a couple hours. Rinse and pat off excess moisture. Dredge in salt and pepper seasoned flour, fry in bacon grease until golden brown on both sides. Place on wire rack to drain. Serve with sauted onions, mashed potatoes and brown gravy. Dangit, now I'm hungry.

Took the best parts from recipes on this forum and other internet sites and had probably the best liver and onions of my life tonight.

chico99645 has my recipe. I could not add more. I slice my liver as thin as possible by slicing it when it is only partially frozen. I flash fry it and leave it slightly pink in the center. Serve it with the bacon and onions (I prefer sweet onions like Vidalias) and life is good.