Thread: moose ribs

Default moose ribs

here is how i make moose ribs. brown them on broiler rack at 375 for about 20 minutes. remove and place in pressure cooker for 30-40 minutes, then place back in oven for 20 minutes with some bbq sauce smeared on top. the pressure cooker tenderizes them just right. if you have a way to get your moose ribs out with out boning them out, this is one of the best meals from a moose.

Palmer, AK.

Another good idea is to partially freeze them and take them to pioneer Meats and have them cut "flanken ribs". (They are sliced very thin on a band saw). Then marinade in a terriyaki sauce for the day. Grill on high heat for 15 mins or so.
    They rock!

little log cabin on the river

I saw them in half bone in(so they will fit in my largest cooking pot) or bone the rib meat if you prefer, then cover with water and some spices. Simmer for several hours, or even all day. Then place on cooking sheets or broiler, cover with homemade highbush cranberry ketchup (or BBQ sauce) and bake or broil until just crispy and brown on top, somewhere between 1/2 hour to an hour.

We had 1/2 brisket done this way last night and it was very tender and tasty.
    This years highbush cranberrry ketchup sauce may be the best ever!
    Leftovers for sandwiches today for lunch.

Rolled rib roasts are another way to enjoy rib meat. Bone rib meat and season one side with spices (summer savory, lots of pepper, onions or whatever you like) roll roast and tie in several places (I use sinue from the backstrap). Simmer in dutch oven with just a bit of water for several hours, turning roast once and checking water level. Place roast in oven, cover with desired sauce, (highbush cranberry sauce is very good for this) and bake for an additional hour. Cool slightly and slice roast thin.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I use a sawsall. and make 6-8 inch lengths out of them,, drop them all in a cooler with a brine of salt and brown sugar for 24 hours and then smoke them for about 8 hours at 200 degrees and freeze...

then when ready to cook and eat, i slow cook them in the dutch oven or crock pot with BBQ sauce added in the last 40 min, with lots of fresh onion and garlic... you can suck the bones clean with little effort.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here