Thread: Books

Default Books

Well, I just finished "Artic Bush Pilot" it's the James "Andy" Anderson story told by Jim Rearden. What a life and career he had and what a wonderful book to read. It really makes me want to continue on and find a way to buy a plane and get to alaska. I still have about two years before the wife is done with school. I also read "FLying the Alaskan Wild" which I enyoyed as well. Does anyone have any additional books that they would suggest? Any thoughts on "In the Shadow of Eagles"?

On a side note I had my second lesson this past thursday for my taildragger endorsment flying a citrabra. Man is it different than the 172 that I learned in but I'm having fun and that's what counts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Checkout the following book review of "Flying North South East and West" by Terry Reece:
    http://www.helium.com/items/655063-b...in-terry-reece

You can order the book directly through links on Terry's website. Terry's website: http://flyingnorth.com/

Amazon link:
    http://flyingnorth.com/?4c5d04c8

Glacier pilot is a book about Bob Reeves who started Reeves Aleution Air that I would highly recommend. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157...pf_rd_i=507846
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

My mom just found an old book at a yard sale, Wager with the Wind the Don Sheldon Story written by James Greiner. I've not read it yet but she has and said it was awesome (my word not hers).

Hey, thanks for the encouragement you gave me on my thread, now I'll give you some. Keep your dream of moving to Alaska alive! I saw a tv show about Alaska when I was 17 and living in Florida. I knew IMMEDIATELY, that was where I wanted to live. Every summer for ten years I would make plans on moving here. It became a joke in my family, "Pam's moving to Alaska, again!" I finally made it up a few years ago with my job and I see no turning back!

Yes, wager with the wind is a great book, some inaccuracies,, from what I've been told, but still a great adventure.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I thought F.E Pott's guide to bush flying was terrific but see it's going for $140 used?
    I better take care of my copy!
    far as wager with the wind, Cliff Hudson told me it was a pack of lie's but I suspect he was biased

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I thought F.E Pott's guide to bush flying was terrific but see it's going for $140 used?
    far as wager with the wind, Cliff Hudson told me it was a pack of lie's but I suspect he was biased
    I saw, and was going to get Potts book but saw is was so much and thought that is was a mistake. I saw a web site to order it for 35.00 but can't get it to work. Anyone......What would you pay for it if you didn't have it. Hard to believe that any book is worth that much.

Pam, thanks for the thoughts. I do plan to make it a reality and i'm having a hard time waiting. Been to alaska 6 times now and it's like a drug. Financially and family reasons I'm going to have to wait till the wife is done with school but she has been up there with me and have agreed to make the move and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    I saw, and was going to get Potts book but saw is was so much and thought that is was a mistake. I saw a web site to order it for 35.00 but can't get it to work. Anyone......What would you pay for it if you didn't have it. Hard to believe that any book is worth that much.

Pam, thanks for the thoughts. I do plan to make it a reality and i'm having a hard time waiting. Been to alaska 6 times now and it's like a drug. Financially and family reasons I'm going to have to wait till the wife is done with school but she has been up there with me and have agreed to make the move and give it a try.
    Not unheard of for a out of print book. I have a pre 64 model 70 Winchester book that I bought in 1985 for $25 and now is selling used for $800 Actually sucks because now I am afraid to read it.
    Potts' was a good book, but not $140 good. More entertaining then a reference book.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Potts' books are no longer in print, so they are pretty expensive. My first book, "Flying the Alaska Wild" now appears on Amazon.com with prices between $95 to around $200, since it's also no longer being printed. It originally sold for $19.95. The second book, "The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles" is still out there for $24.95.

By all means, get Bob Reeve's story, "Glacier Pilot." It's not particularly well written, but it's a really great story! And, if you can find it, get Jean Potter's "The Flying North." That may be the best and most informative Alaska flying book you'll ever have.

Down to earth stories telling what Alaska bush flying is really all about can be found in "CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles."

It's true that Don Sheldon and the Hudsons had a quiet fued going between them for two decades. Still, "Wager With the Wind" will always have its place with other Alqska flying tales.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 1 View Post
    Potts' books are no longer in print, so they are pretty expensive. My first book, "Flying the Alaska Wild" now appears on Amazon.com with prices between $95 to around $200, since it's also no longer being printed. It originally sold for $19.95. The second book, "The Alaska Bush Pilot Chronicles" is still out there for $24.95.

By all means, get Bob Reeve's story, "Glacier Pilot." It's not particularly well written, but it's a really great story! And, if you can find it, get Jean Potter's "The Flying North." That may be the best and most informative Alaska flying book you'll ever have.

Down to earth stories telling what Alaska bush flying is really all about can be found in "CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles."

It's true that Don Sheldon and the Hudsons had a quiet feud going between them for two decades. Still, "Wager With the Wind" will always have its place with other Alqska flying tales.
    Not sure it was a "quiet feud". It was never hard to get Cliff started on Sheldon,even in his last years.
    I had a opportunity to back seat in 4063 Zulu[Sheldon's PA-18, daughter Holly at the stick] and really thought God I wish this plane could talk!

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

If your wife attends a university, go to the university library and see if they can find Pott's book. If they don't have any, they should be able to borrow a copy from another library somewhere. Thay way, you get to read it for free!

That would explain why my copy of the FE Potts book disappeared from my guest pilot cabin...

Other books which are a good read,

Mudhole Smith Alaska Flier

In the Shadow of Eagles
    Flying Cold
    Flying North
    Wings over Alaska
    Heroes of the Horizon
    Winging It.
    Broken Wings.
    Glacier Wings and Tales

And of course Mort's books (aka Grizzly 1)
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

For years I tried to find an Alaskan novel written from a bush pilot's point of view. Something exciting, gritty, close to the land, the animals and real Alaskan characters, sexy and realistic. Never found it, so I decided to write one a couple of years ago. North To Disaster by Jim Craig. Check it out at www.bushakpress.com. Also available on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/North-Disaster.../dp/0961711213

Wager With the Wind is a great book to read. Don Sheldon did some amazing things with airplanes and is worth of legend status imo.
    The Flying North is a very good read.

Cowboys of the North highlights a handful of old time aviators and I enjoyed it.

Flight of the Red Beaver is a pretty good book about flying in Northern Canada. The writing isn't prize winning, but the stories are good and some really pics from a few decades back.

Congrats Tboehm on the tailwheel ...welcome to real flying! :-)

Jim
    Bought your book soon after it was published, great book and a super fun read. I am a pilot and really enjoyed your description of the flying parts. My wife and I spent last summer in Seward and I came by several times to meet you, but missed you each time. Wanted to get a picture of you with the RV, but then noticed it was gone, surely you didn't get rid of it. Hope you write another book and look forward to meeting you one day.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by akaviator View Post
    Congrats Tboehm on the tailwheel ...welcome to real flying! :-)
    Thanks for that..... I had another lesson this past thursday and got the 2 point landings down for the most part. Had one bad one where I did a bunch of bouncing. I think that I'm one or two lessons away from my endorsment.

Thanks for everyones input on the books. Should have plenty to read now.

Thanks for that..... I had another lesson this past thursday and got the 2 point landings down for the most part. Had one bad one where I did a bunch of bouncing. I think that I'm one or two lessons away from my endorsment.

Thanks for everyones input on the books. Should have plenty to read now.
    My apologies! I shouldn't have forgotten one of the century's greatest books on flying: THE THOUSAND MILE WAR, by Brian Garfield. It's the story of the WW II fight with the Japanese, who had invaded the Aleutian Islands, and the many pilots (and their ships) that had to fly in the lengendary Aleutian weather. GREAT READ !!!

Doug Geeting's ( I happen to be listening to one of his music CD's as I read this thread) book "Mountain Flying" is a good instructional book on flying in mountainous terrain.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I highly recommend Flying the Alaska Wild. Very well written easy to read and follow. I found my copy in almost new condition at Tidal Wave Books in Anchorage.

Default Glad you liked North To Disaster by Jim Craig

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Jim
    Bought your book soon after it was published, great book and a super fun read. I am a pilot and really enjoyed your description of the flying parts. My wife and I spent last summer in Seward and I came by several times to meet you, but missed you each time. Wanted to get a picture of you with the RV, but then noticed it was gone, surely you didn't get rid of it. Hope you write another book and look forward to meeting you one day.

Randy
    Thanks for the feedback, Randy. I should have the sequel out Spring 2011, Blue Ice Betrayal. Hope to meet you someday as well. Take care, Jim