Thread: Fuel Drums used as tanks

Default Fuel Drums used as tanks

For those of you using fuel drums as fuel tanks, how are you rigging the drums up for connecting your fuel line?

I know lots of guys that do this in the bush. They carry a 15 or 30 gallon plastic drum in the boat and then hook up a standard OMC fitting to the top of the bung. They then just run a hose from the bung to the bottom of the tank. Its probably not the best or most sophisticated but it sure seems to get the job done.

Default Feeder Tubes

Here is a pic of the top of my barrel. I have feeders for 15 and 30 gallons drums. My central fuel filter has two inlets. I installed ball valves and ran two hoses up each side of the boat. Clip the QD in and open the valve for the desired tank and off you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Here is a pic of the top of my barrel. I have feeders for 15 and 30 gallons drums. My central fuel filter has two inlets. I installed ball valves and ran two hoses up each side of the boat. Clip the QD in and open the valve for the desired tank and off you go.
    That's exactly the setup I've seen in the bush. The valve idea is also a great idea and most Racors have two inlets so it should be an easy setup. Nice rifle by the way.

The local marine dealerships in Anchorage have the withdrawl tube, adapter bushing and vented cap to convert a regular fuel drum into an outboard fuel tank. Then it's a simple matter to connect a fuel hose, either permanently using a hose barb or with a fuel quick disconnect fitting that matches your OEM fuel line.