Thread: how to moose antler mount???

Default how to moose antler mount???

Hello. i shot a 43 inch bull and want to do an antler mount. ive searched kits online and they are too expensive and dont seem to look that good. my antlers are attached by the skull plate. I was wondering if anyone had completed their own moose antler mount and how they did it. Thanks vance
    NRA life Member JVJ

Not hard, used some bondo, a piece of hardwood and some leather. Mounted it to a burl slab.

Steve

This is not a moose, but is an idea that I really like and eventually want to do with something. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/33331-Old-School-Sheep-Display
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    Hello. i shot a 43 inch bull and want to do an antler mount. ive searched kits online and they are too expensive and dont seem to look that good. my antlers are attached by the skull plate. I was wondering if anyone had completed their own moose antler mount and how they did it. Thanks vance
    I took a lot of work, but I took care of mine.
    I used furniture leather over the skull. The skull area looks nice and round (even) because I filled all the areas around it with FixAll (wore latex surgical gloves). Then I leveled all the surfaces with a small knife and my hands until it was nice and even, and the base of the skull was nice and flat.

The antlers are held on the plaque by a bolt that goes though the forehead, out the base, and through the plaque. The bolt's heat is recessed into the FixAll on the forehead, as well as a washer and nut at the base of the skull, AND also another washer and nut at the back of the plaque. I ground the remainder of the bolt behind the nut in the plaque.

I used rubber cement, a little at a time, on both the leather and the already dry FixAll, and kept on pulling and stretching the leather all the way around. I carefully cut the ends of the leather with an Exacto knife at the top of the skull (there is a very narrow cut showing on mine). But I carefully stretched the leather so that the cut or area (were the two ends meet) was nice and neat plus even (like when laying a rug). I also used the Exacto knife on the leather edges around the antler bases. Once the leather work was done (I folded some of the leather over the edges of the skull, at the base), then I mounted the antlers on the plaque.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Not hard, used some bondo, a piece of hardwood and some leather. Mounted it to a burl slab.

Steve
    Very Classy!!!!!!!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I took a lot of work, but I took care of mine.
    I used furniture leather over the skull. The skull area looks nice and round (even) because I filled all the areas around it with FixAll (wore latex surgical gloves). Then I leveled all the surfaces with a small knife and my hands until it was nice and even, and the base of the skull was nice and flat.

The antlers are held on the plaque by a bolt that goes though the forehead, out the base, and through the plaque. The bolt's heat is recessed into the FixAll on the forehead, as well as a washer and nut at the base of the skull, AND also another washer and nut at the back of the plaque. I ground the remainder of the bolt behind the nut in the plaque.

I used rubber cement, a little at a time, on both the leather and the already dry FixAll, and kept on pulling and stretching the leather all the way around. I carefully cut the ends of the leather with an Exacto knife at the top of the skull (there is a very narrow cut showing on mine). But I carefully stretched the leather so that the cut or area (were the two ends meet) was nice and neat plus even (like when laying a rug). I also used the Exacto knife on the leather edges around the antler bases. Once the leather work was done (I folded some of the leather over the edges of the skull, at the base), then I mounted the antlers on the plaque.
    FixAll is good stuff. Another option I've used is Great Stuff (spray foam insulation). Fix the skull plate to a piece of plywood with deck screws and spray great stuff inside and outside the skull plate. Let it cure overnight, then easily trim to the shape you want. Smoothout with sand paper, then proceed with covering with leather etc. I use this in order to keep the weight of the finished mount down a bit.