Thread: Solo hunt results

Default Solo hunt results

Just returned from two weeks hunting and playing from Deadhorse to the Brooks. Here's the caribou I killed, and a shot I took of another one as it entered a shadow in a Brooks drainage. The bull was 100 yards away when I took the photo, but ended up walking 20 yards below me, anyway. I was using a 400 mm lens for this photo.

As per usual, I camped and hunted alone, but this year didn't see a bear until I was flying out. Unbelievable caribou numbers for me this year. My friends at 70 North (Happy Valley) did an awesome job dropping me into a spot with no hunting pressure.

Don Mulligan
    www.outdoorswithdon

Wow....kool pictures....good job

That silhouette is sweet!

That sounds like a nice hunt. Good photography too. I can imagine you had some time to reflect and enjoy the surroundings.

Don, very nice for sure. I have seen previous post of yours and as as solo hunter myself I can really appreciate what you do. How lucky are we to be able to enjoy Alaska, it sure is a special place.

Ok, so if you lugged a DSLR out there with you you must have more pictures? feed the hungry bro...

Enjoy the bounty.

Nice. Both of them.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Congrats Don. I hear 70 North has been busy this year! Glad they were able to get you out to a good uncrowded location.

How were the bugs?

I have a bunch of photos, but I need to hold onto them. I have a couple articles to support and most publications want first rights. Thanks a bunch for the compliments and asking, however.

70 North was quite busy. I spent a week in camp at Happy Valley after my time afield, helping out. Between their scheduled rides and the guys stopping by unannounced looking for a ride, Mike and Bob were working 18-hours a day. Though I never talked to him, Ralph at Deltana looked pretty busy, too.

There were very few caribou inside the 5-mile zone the entire 2-weeks I was there. After ending my hunt, I flew several other times both east and west of the Haul Road and saw very few animals until we got closer to the mountains. Tough year for the guys trying to fill tags from the road.

I didn't see a single bug the first week while in the mountains. The last five days in Happy, however, were miserable. Crazy hot weather for mid September brought the noseeums out like it was July.

I'm Already looking forward to next year's trip. The thrill of camping/hunting alone in AK is a great draw for me, but I may bring a friend or my kid next year. Other people need to see how spectacular AK is, and photos just can't capture it.

Don

Don congrats on one fine looking bull and some great pics!!!

Awesome Caribou and photograph!

Great pics and congrats, I have always wanted to do a fly out hunt up there

Looks like that old phrase, "I`ll do it my way" still works.... Well done,

Very impressive, congrats on a wonderful trip.